• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9500pro heat issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dimebag

Registered
I'm having some big problems with my 9500pro as of late. It's been flashed to a 9700pro since March, and I thought I could push it a little further. So I purchased an Iceberq 4 GPU heatsink. After applying Arctic Silver 5 and the heatsink I started getting massive artifacts. I feel the back of the chip, and it's damn hot. I tried reapplying the AS5, but it's just not working. The Iceberq 4 is an all-copper heatsink, and the AS5 is the best cooling paste (better than stock) in the biz. So what's the deal?

P.S. While pushing the bolts through the card, I accidentally snapped the top off of one of the copper conductive coils. It doesn't start all the time, and it's just the top plastice part, so I didn't think it would affect the heat. Otherwise, it's fine. Could that be it?

Your Iceberq should be enough to at least keep the card cool enough at the speeds you have now, for an artifact free boot, and 3D use - so it's likely that something else is the problem.

Sounds like the little piece that snapped off was actually important, especially if your card is artifacting now, and not starting properly all the time :-/

Wish I had a digital camera :p. Uh... look on your card (if you have a radeon) for something that kind of looks like a capacitor only with exposed copper wiring, and the letters "3R3" or "2R2" on the top in white on a black cap (that's what it has on mine). The printing might differ from card to card, but it's like a vertical spindle of copper with a black cap on it (best description I can give). I'll look for a good pic on the net and post again.

radeon_9500pro_ventola.jpg

Look to the far, far right at the edge of the picture, and you'll see a "3R3" on top of that copper thing. I broke the one in the middle which says "2R2" on the top. It's in between those two "3R3"'s.

Wait, Was it actually apart of the card or the cooler??...sorry if i missed it above.

lol it's actually a part of the card. That's not my actual card, but you can see the components i'm talking about. Another theory i had is that the aluminum spacer around the chip isn't giving me enough room for good contact. Any way for me to remove it?

Dimebag said:
P.S. While pushing the bolts through the card, I accidentally snapped the top off of one of the copper conductive coils.

Sounds like you damaged an inductor. That could be causing the card to artifact. You might want to try removing the shim (spacer) around the GPU. I hear you can just use a piece of dental floss to get between and "saw" it off. Do a search.

Ok, so I got the shim off... it's a lot cooler, but still artifacting hardcore in battlefront. I have the clocks at 365core/305mem. And it's core artifacting. RJARRRPCGP, I didn't physically break the inductor coil, it's all intact, it's just the black plastic head part (I hope). Well, it still works, I bought a 9800pro for 230 Canadian (180-something USA). Not a bad score, thanks though guys.

Back