• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tnick24

After a water cooling line somehow came loose, some water spilled into my video card and possiably onto my mother board at the AGP slot. when i turn it on the start up screens go through no problem, then the windows xp loading screen goes up. On this screen there are 2, 1 pixel wide lines that are red that are about 2-3 inches long. the winows bar moves back and fourth, and when windows goes to load (show the desktop) the screen clicks a couple times and stays blank. at first you can see but not move the mouse then when the screen clicks it dissappears. The start up noise is there on my speakers, and since i have aim auto load i hear my self sign on and people signing on and off, just no screen what so ever.

When the line burst i unpluged computer pulled everything out of the case, dried them off the best i could, and then let all the parts dry off for ~48 hours before installing everything again.

Do you think this is my vid card, mother board or something else? here are the specs on my system if it helps:

I have a 9800 pro vid card
NF7-S V 2.0
120 seagate
120 maxtor
XP 2400+ @2400MHZ ( I just reset my bios to see if that would make it run and no dice)
and 256 DDR 400

Oh and I just booted off my CD-rom into a harddrive manager, I can see things but there are a ton of lines all over the screen. Any ideas?! im at wits end with this computer and just want to be able to use it. oh and im cross posting this in the MB section to see if anyone might know something.

Do you have a spare vid card to test with? Maybe try taking some alcohol and cleaning the video card bottom pins that go into the slot.

Good luck...

Slimmy said:
Do you have a spare vid card to test with? Maybe try taking some alcohol and cleaning the video card bottom pins that go into the slot.

Good luck...

I wish i did, it would make this guess work a lot easier, but i am a poor student with no cash flow to go out and buy one. and I have tried the alcohol trick as well.

Go to a Walmart buy the cheapest agp card they have I think they have a 9200SE for like 48 bux, if you have to, put it on a credit card. Take it home and test you rig to make sure it is or is not the vid card. Once you are satisfied you can take the card back and say that it was not exactly what you expected. I know that this is not the most honest thing to do, but being broke is a hard thing to go through with out your computer up and running.

Back