• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad BIOS flash Help (Also posted in MB Section...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
I just flashed this boardGigabyte 8IPE1000) to f11 BIOS. Upon reboot I got an error loading the OS (XP). So i rebooted to the XP CD and did a fresh install including format to NTFS. After the setup copied the files and started a reboot I got an error loading OS. I can boot from CD all day and copy file to the HD. Please assume that the HD is a known good unit. It worked just seconds before the bios flash. If I must reverse the flash I think I can but I dont have a floppy for this unit(Actually I cannot make the thing READ a floppy, I have replaced the floppy and cable to no avail either.). Is there any other way?? Please help . . .

Z
thanks in advance

PS: is there a way to flash this board from say a DOS bootable cdrom??? back flash it if needed as I have the old bios??

Make sure in the BIOS the protect boot sector option (a.k.a. virus protection) is disabled when installing windows.

Also what is the error message exactly, is it on a black backgorund or blue?

Are you overclocked, if so drop back to stock for now.

-Andy

No overclocking involved. . .

The error is on a black background prior to the OS loading

"Error loading operating system _" Note the flashing curser.

Z

UPDATE::::

It seems that after replacing the floppy drive AND the batch of (bad)floppies I was able to back flash to f7 and have access to the hard drives. Im going to flash to f9 and then f11 and see if this works. I found a note on Gigabytes website about trying to flash too many steps ahead(I think I was on the original release BIOS f5 or something). Will keep you posted. Also the Virus Protection is turned off in the BIOS.

Last edited:
I had a very similar problem this week. With my board, if I use the FI BIOS, which is the newest, I get the same error. I flashed back to FH, and no problem at all.

FI actually works fine for me after the OS is installed though, but if I try and reinstall w/ it, I get that error. Try flashing back.

So far for what ever reason the BIOS cant be flashed. I have flashed it to f7 and that works. . . anything else. . forget it. Guess its going to stay at f7. . .

Z

PS::: Final words. . . . . . . Seems there is a bad hard drive in the system. . . 3 month old 120 gig drive. . . . wonders never cease....

Last edited:
Back