• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange problem-is psu to blame?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

This is a dupe post from the video section, I just realized it also pertains to psu...

I keep having wierd problems with my new setup. Only thing that changed was the mobo to an MSI KT6v-LSR. Now Wondows generaly seems faster, but when I tried Warcraft3 this morning it was having problems-seems to slow down when trying to play complex animations. For example, the opening slpash page where you can choose to load a game or whatever: it looks fine until some of the flaming fireballs start going by in the background. That's when it seems to choke and slow down.

Also I get this wierd monitor flash/click thing, at random, every 20 min or so. It's like when your monitor changes to a different resolution/refreshrate/color depth from control panel-it goes blank, clicks, and comes right back in under a second. Doesnt seem to cause any damage other than being annoying.

I'm not sure what is causing it. My Antec True330 PSU seems to be taking a dump on me, with my 12v average being 11.8 and sometimes dipping to 11.6. Could that be causing it? Could my new mobo be drawing more power? I think the 12v railwas starting to go before I got this mobo...

OR-
Could it be my video card starting to die? It never feels too warm to the touch, is not oced at the moment... Can run 3dmark2k1 just fine.

I don't know what to do! Any ideas?

I would check the rails under load with a multimeter and see how it does, but the True 330 does seem a little on the weak side for that system. If you get a whole lot of fluctuating on it with the meter, I would say it's time to start looking at an Antec, Fortron, or OCZ unit above 400w as a replacement.

I actually just ordered a Coolmax Taurus Silent Series 400w. I used to have the 300w version of this, and unfortunately traded it for the louder and less stable Antec330. So hopefully this solves my power issues, my video card issues, and some of my noise issues too.

Do my symptoms sound like something that might be caused by weak power?

nope, I didn't since I will be buying a new SATA drive or 2 in the next few weeks. I am scared that this HD is dying, and don't want to try a reformat until I have another working drive. Could that be the cause of it?

Ummm... I'd look into your monitor. That's usually a symptom of the "flyback" of the monitor starting to fail. If you have another system, hook the monitor up to that for a few days and see if the symptoms are the same.

I dont have anything else to test it out, guess I'll just have to wait and get my new PSU in the mail, see if that fixes it. If not, then hopefully my new video card will. If not, Then I gotta finally retire the ol' 19" CRT and go flat... I'd miss this thing if that is the case, but on the otherhand an LCD would be nice! Easy to justify with the wife- "But we NEED a working monitor!" works better than "do you realize how much it sucks to still run a GF4 Ti 4200?!?!?"

Back