• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a fix possible? Extremely crappy overclocker!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gastro54

Hey I have a Powercolor 9700np from about 1.5 yrs ago that I want to overclock. It's getting to the end of it's time and I want to try to get as much out of it as I can. I learned about powercolors not being great overclockers after I made the purchase but decided not to RMA and get a different brand.

It has Infineon 3.3 ram on but I should be able to overclock it at least a little right?

In ATI Tool, if I try anything 5 or so mhz above stock on either core or mem spd, the VPU recovery occurs, blank screen ect...

Would any hard mods increase my overclocking potential? I am really open to anything

gastro54 said:
Hey I have a Powercolor 9700np from about 1.5 yrs ago that I want to overclock. It's getting to the end of it's time and I want to try to get as much out of it as I can. I learned about powercolors not being great overclockers after I made the purchase but decided not to RMA and get a different brand.

It has Infineon 3.3 ram on but I should be able to overclock it at least a little right?

In ATI Tool, if I try anything 5 or so mhz above stock on either core or mem spd, the VPU recovery occurs, blank screen ect...

Would any hard mods increase my overclocking potential? I am really open to anything

How's the cooling on that puppy. Mounting a VGA silencer might give ya something...

Tebore said:
How's the cooling on that puppy. Mounting a VGA silencer might give ya something...

I believe there is an issue with overclocking being locked with the stock BIOS. You would need to flash to a 9700 pro BIOS to enable OC'ing. Message sent on AIM.

Yea, I talked to windom on aim and he was very helpful. I will do a bios flash once my replacement nf7-s gets in. My floppy controller is fried right now.

Awesome!! After talking with windom, I proceeded to winflash a 9700pro BIOS and all is well! Right now I'm running @ stock pro speeds and I got a 800 pt boost in my 3dmark 03 from 4300 to 5100 http://service.futuremark.com/servl...ojectdetails&projectType=10&projectId=3271588
Nice!!! Thanks for all the help windom it was very appreciated. Thanks to the others as well for helping to contribute.

EDIT: Ok, I'm at pro speeds which is good, but now I want more :mad: :mad: Once I go a little past stock in mem, I get rebooted after about 3-4mhz and when I overclock the core I get artifacts after increasing 5mhz. Is it time to bust out the hard mods + cooling?

Last edited:
gastro54 said:
Awesome!! After talking with windom, I proceeded to winflash a 9700pro BIOS and all is well! Right now I'm running @ stock pro speeds and I got a 800 pt boost in my 3dmark 03 from 4300 to 5100 http://service.futuremark.com/servl...ojectdetails&projectType=10&projectId=3271588
Nice!!! Thanks for all the help windom it was very appreciated. Thanks to the others as well for helping to contribute.

EDIT: Ok, I'm at pro speeds which is good, but now I want more :mad: :mad: Once I go a little past stock in mem, I get rebooted after about 3-4mhz and when I overclock the core I get artifacts after increasing 5mhz. Is it time to bust out the hard mods + cooling?

Time for your new cooler and some vmods!!!! :attn:

I'll help ya out whenever you get back online. It should be great.

If overclocking completely fails, that is, an immediate VPU recovery error message and/or blacks out with any overclocking, please download third party Catalyst drivers. Otherwise, downgrade to Catalyst 3.2 or earlier!!!

For third party Catalyst drivers, I recommend the W1zzard Catalyst drivers, which are at:

http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/

Back