• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flashing back from XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azianese

Ok, I think that the xt bios messed my card up because the monitor doesn't display anything. I think the problem started because I never had an xt pcb, just the r360 core and I had used the gecube bios.

Now I have a pci video card that I borrowed from school so that I can reflash it but my first attempt failed. Having both cards in at the same time makes it want to boot from the agp slot so I would only have the pci slot in and when it had booted from it I would plug in the agp card again. I flashed and it just kind of stuck there for a long time and did nothing. So I am guessing that it did not flash the bios.

What is the proper method of reflashing a video card with a pci video card?

wait, for flashing should I be putting
flashrom -p 0 XXX.bin

or

flashrom -f -p 0 XXX.bin

because it has both on there rojak pot site

Hmmm, I'm thinking my method of just booting with the pci card and then just plugging in the agp card afterwards is the problem rather than the method of flashing but I'll try it again.

Make sure you have PCI selected as first boot option in the BIOS. You should beable to boot the system with both cards inserted to the mobo, with monitor being plugged to the PCI card.

ehhh, just plain pci isn't an option under boot devices for my ai7....

nm, i found the option asking which device you wanted to use for first display and pci was already selected so it is still trying to boot from the agp slot first despite already having the option set to bott from the pci slot first....

Last edited:
bump

am i doing something wrong or is the ai7 different or something?!

PLEASE!!! it's been months and I haven't even been able to start up my computer since I installed my watercooling!!!

edit: Well, technically I did with the pci card.... BUT STILL!!!!

You most likely fried the AGP card when you installed it with the system running. If you look at the pins on an AGP card, you can see how some of them will be shorted by the wrong pins if they're put in while power is on.

You most likely killed your card. The only thing you can try is to boot up with the pci card, and memorize the EXACT keystrokes you need to use once the PC has booted into DOS, and then take out the PCI card, put in the AGP card, and do that EXACT keystrokes again. Reboot, and if your card still doesn't work, then you fried it.

Trios

hmmm.... well I tried that already but it never gets past the post screen I'm sure. According to the AI7 it runs into error 25 which states
"Early PCI Initialization:
-Enumerate PCI bus number.
-Assign memory and I/O resource
-Search for a valid VGA device and VGA BIOS and put it into C000:0"

Also, it had the same error long before I even got a hold of a pci card so I don't think that I fried it but shoving the card in when I wasn't supposed to. When I have the comp boot up with the agp card I can still feel heat from the gpu core so it is running, it just doesn't display anything.

You fried it. Trust me, you did. The card is dead, and gone. I hope you haven't modded it at all, cuz it might still be under warranty and RMA-able.

Trios

I don't have the stock heatsink anymore so I'm pretty sure I can't return it. I really don't see how I could have fried it by putting it in while the system was running when I had the same exact error nearly weeks before....

Removing or installing any electronic device while the power is still on is never a good idea. It is probably fried, and if you are lucky, nothing else fried along with it.

Go into your bios an enable palette ------ something. I cant remember off the top of my head. That should let it start from the pci card.

--Josh

Yeah I would NEVER install or remove a piece of hardware with the power on. HUGE NO NO!!!

HUGE!!

It may not have been the problem before but you've probably fried it now and made the problem worse.

i see.. well ive already decided to just junk the card and buy a new one. Thanks for the help I guess. It was hard to accept...

Back