• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advantages from 0.09u to 0.13u? (A64)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zebbo

Mushkin Tech Rep
I bought one week ago AMD Athlon64 3500+ and MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. I have done some researching and seems like new Winchesters(0.09u) overclocks much better than NewCastles(0.13), but couple of questions comes my mind too. What about performance? Is NewCastle faster from clock to clock than Winchesters? And like Intel has it own situations from moving Northwoods to Prescotts, what about heat here then? Are these Winchesters hotter than NewCastles?

Some good advices is needed, cause I'm having "on the edge" -situation do I replace my current NewCastle with Winchester.

No, the IPC on the winchesters is the same as on the NCs, but due to fixed erretas, the CPU performs around 1% better than NewCastle. They both achieve about the same speeds in OC, but it seems that latest Winchesters OC a bit better, and they run noticably cooler than the NCs.

Don't switch if you have nc 130 already, 90nm don't oc any better - even while running indeed cooler.
90nm consumes around 35w compared to 62-72w on the old 130nm process. No benefit here unless you use your system as a server 24/7 or have high uptimes.
In consequence they run cooler but were there any temp probs with the old newcastles?

So what is the point about this that Winchesters are cheaper than NewCastles? Akiba from finland sells Winchesters to 299€ and NewCastles 369€. I'm a little confused about this :eh?:

And about Winchesters running cool? Good thing they do, but I don't even think my NewCastle runs hot. Idle temps are 44 and full load temps 56, and this is with stock cooler at 2529MHz with 1,6V.

Last edited:
Back