• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R.I.P. My KT7A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JAWS

I finally stepped over the edge with my vcore mod. Will trying
to solder pin 10, something happend. I must have shorted out
the board somehow. To make a long story short, Ive been
without a computer for a week. I bought a backup for now:
ECS K7S5A. Has anyone heard or seen one of these before.
I guess it's okay, for now!! Maybe my next board won't have a
vcore cap of 1.85 on it. WHY WAS I NOT HAPPY WITH 1.533???

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that dude. I had a pro do my volt mod. I was scared and did not want to ruin my score of no broken parts as of yet.

TranceBear said:
Sorry to hear that dude. I had a pro do my volt mod. I was scared and did not want to ruin my score of no broken parts as of yet.

Gee, Trance.....

You've got a good idea going there..... I've been hesitant to take an iron to my KT7A Raid (I have some soldering experience, took 1 electronics class and 1 Robotics class) so I really dont want to do it myself.

When I get my Dual Duron system going I think I'll have someone mod my KT7A... see how much voltage I can pump through one of these socket A chips I have lying around. :)

Did you pay the dude? How much?

SickBoy

Did you toast the HIP6301 or pull the trace from the board? If you just pulled the trace, it can be repaired.

Yeah, unfortunately I pulled the pin off. I just don't understand
how pin 10 could be harder than pin 7. Pin 7 went down perfect.
Pin 10 looked like it had some of that sealant on it. The solder
would not lach on. I tried and tried and tried(you get the picture)
untill the frustration started in. After that, I thought I had
everything covered, and went to boot up and got nothing.

That ECS board is DDR, but its very limited with overclocking.

(no mult/voltage adjustments and few FSBs)

RIP then. Casualties of the obsession! :D No time to morn, there are better motherboards right around the corner.

I'm sorry to hear about your board. I did the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago, so I know your pian! I did it on my new 8KHA, one if the pin's broke off, and some of the traces was ripped off. I might be lucky, and be able to sell if to a dude that's very good at soldering. Then I haven't lost that much money on it :(

Good luck with your new board.

SickBoy said:

Gee, Trance.....

You've got a good idea going there..... I've been hesitant to take an iron to my KT7A Raid (I have some soldering experience, took 1 electronics class and 1 Robotics class) so I really dont want to do it myself.

When I get my Dual Duron system going I think I'll have someone mod my KT7A... see how much voltage I can pump through one of these socket A chips I have lying around. :)

Did you pay the dude? How much?

SickBoy

Local guy that owed me money for a Jail bail. I bailed him out of jail for a DUI 1 day. He said he would do it normaly for about $30 USD, well worth it!!

snookhook said:
Yeah, unfortunately I pulled the pin off. I just don't understand
how pin 10 could be harder than pin 7. Pin 7 went down perfect.
Pin 10 looked like it had some of that sealant on it. The solder
would not lach on. I tried and tried and tried(you get the picture)
untill the frustration started in. After that, I thought I had
everything covered, and went to boot up and got nothing.

oh man that really is sad you should have used a little bit of flux when you couldn't get it to stick :(

Back