• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max. core speed for 9800PRO@XT/9800XT ?..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Decadence

Hello!

I was in a debate and a friend of mine told me that his 9800PRO@XT (R350) had been running at 500/400Mhz, and said also that it is impossible to reach over 500Mhz as core speed, even in best cooling conditions. I made many research but couldn't find any 9800PRO or PRO@XT at such a core clock speed.

What is the maximum core speed that a 9800PRO@XT or XT can reach? Do you know anyone who has +500Mhz core speed -a 3DMark result page or another stuff which shows it? Which GPU is more advantageous at this point, R350 or R360?

Thanks!

i've seen someone with a 500Mhz 9800pro.... it was a r350 as they tend to overclock higher than the r360.... however I'm sure you could probably get both up to 500Mhz on water.

i question the point of o/c ur graphics card any more, due to the fact that hl2 and doom3 dont like o/c graphics cards

shuRe said:
i question the point of o/c ur graphics card any more, due to the fact that hl2 and doom3 dont like o/c graphics cards

I can run doom3 with my system overclocked... you just have to have good cooling to keep away the artifacts.

I've got my 9800 Pro's core running up at 532 MHz, and I intend to shoot for 550+ on some suicide runs this winter :). It's certainly possible to clear 500 MHz, and has been done many times before.

As with any large overclocks; you need very good cooling, and almost always a signifigant overvolt (which means a voltage mod for these cards) to handle such speeds stably.

The highest clocked ones are well beyond 600MHz core.

Gautam, do you have any links to pictures of the cooling setups used for this? An artifact clean 600 MHz overclock on the core would need some serious sub-zero cooling :).

I've been looking around for a project writeup on Dry Ice cooling a 9800, with the results, but haven't found anything :(.

felinusz said:
I've got my 9800 Pro's core running up at 532 MHz, and I intend to shoot for 550+ on some suicide runs this winter :). It's certainly possible to clear 500 MHz, and has been done many times before.

Hey bro, why don't you have some scores in the 3DMark teams? i'm sure with that monster card you're using you could put up some impressive scores.

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Hey bro, why don't you have some scores in the 3DMark teams? i'm sure with that monster card you're using you could put up some impressive scores.

Yep! I would really like to see your 3DMark results, felinusz.

This thread is a little bit dated now, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=295547 , but has a few screens of some benching I did a while back with this card - not all that impressive I might add. I gave up on benching this machine a while back, as I can't seem to get it to perform as it 'should' be performing in 3DMark.

For example, I ran a 3DMark01SE bench a few days ago, all the tests in the stock order, with my processor at 236 X 11.5 (2714 MHz), my gig of RAM at 236 MHz, C3-2-3-11 timings, and my 9800 at 532/414. I came up with a whopping 23800 3DMarks :-/.

Since I've hooked up my NF7-S with some volt mods, I think I'll try to give benching another shot soon, maybe in 03 this time, hopefully with a nice fat FSB :).

felinusz said:
This thread is a little bit dated now, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=295547 , but has a few screens of some benching I did a while back with this card - not all that impressive I might add. I gave up on benching this machine a while back, as I can't seem to get it to perform as it 'should' be performing in 3DMark.

For example, I ran a 3DMark01SE bench a few days ago, all the tests in the stock order, with my processor at 236 X 11.5 (2714 MHz), my gig of RAM at 236 MHz, C3-2-3-11 timings, and my 9800 at 532/414. I came up with a whopping 23800 3DMarks :-/.

Since I've hooked up my NF7-S with some volt mods, I think I'll try to give benching another shot soon, maybe in 03 this time, hopefully with a nice fat FSB :).
23.8 is near the AXP world record, lol.... when you used to be getting 21's and 22's, that was too low. 23.8 is spot on for default order and your clocks. 24k easy with some more squeezing, but much higher usually takes phase change on CPU and GPU.

felinusz said:

That's why I gave the link to the new OC3DMark teams.... we've got some really hot systems in these forums but for whatever reason people aren't really supporting the teams. I just installed a new mb and a sata raptor so I'll be posting a whole bunch of new scores in all three 3DMark divisions.... If nothing else people will have another reference to judge systems and cards.... :D

23.8 is near the AXP world record, lol.... when you used to be getting 21's and 22's, that was too low. 23.8 is spot on for default order and your clocks. 24k easy with some more squeezing, but much higher usually takes phase change on CPU and GPU.

That's heartening to hear :).

I guess some more squeezing is in order :).

Back