• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 3.4C or 3.4E?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwalker

Registered
Which is better? I currently have an Intel 2.6C running at 3.31mhz at 5:4 ram ratio ( 255 front side bus). I run mostly office applications with one Excel file currently taking 10 minutes and would like to decrease the processing time.

What kind of cooling are you going to use? Overclocking this chip at all? What memory are you gonna use, looking for high GHz over FSB? What motherboard and PSU will be used? I just sold both my Northwoods in favor of prescotts, very nice cpu's, almost identical performance, pressy is a tad faster, but overclocks much better for me. I'm a fan of the 3.2E SL7E5, i would get that, do a modest overclock on it, would perform better than a default 3.4, plus saves money for cooling :p

superpi6.jpg

sl7e5-4ghz.jpg

The 3.4E (prescott) has a larger L2 cache (1 MB vs. 512K) which may make a difference in your app. However, Prescotts also run hotter than Northwoods (3.4C) and if you overclock you may have a heat issue. Also, I don't think the 3.4's OC as well as the 2.6's
Big picture: You might get a 15% increase in speed over your current OC @3.8GHz which means you will be looking at 8.5 minutes instead of 10 for excel to run.

depends on cooling really... be best to wait for the new E0 stepping pressies IMO - But then again if you haven't got the cooling you're still going to get more performance from a northwood.. as you'll be able to run it faster with less cooling etc..

Webzta said:
depends on cooling really... be best to wait for the new E0 stepping pressies IMO - But then again if you haven't got the cooling you're still going to get more performance from a northwood.. as you'll be able to run it faster with less cooling etc..

I would have to disagree with that, what are you basing that on? I had a 3.0C and a 3.4C and my prescott's out performed them as the FSB went up. Plus the prescott's overclock better from what i've seen, and in my case as well. I'm curious to see what this new stepping can do as well, probably worth the wait to see, i'm sure someone will have results soon.

One thing to consider is the unlocked multi(14 & 17) on the 3.4E D0 chips. The multi is not unlocked on the 3.2E D0 chips. And I heard someone say that the new E0 chips are not unlocked either.

I personally would go for the 3.4E. I had a 3.4C and the highest I could get stable was 3.9.

what kinda oc's are people getting with these? I have a 3.0C SL6WU, and I get 3.8 stable, but I run at 3.7. My water cooling should be up and running in a week or so, at which point I might be able to run it at 4ghz even (it boots to windows at that on air, so who knows).

Achilles17 said:
what kinda oc's are people getting with these? I have a 3.0C SL6WU, and I get 3.8 stable, but I run at 3.7. My water cooling should be up and running in a week or so, at which point I might be able to run it at 4ghz even (it boots to windows at that on air, so who knows).

With your ram I would get a 3.4E and drop the multi down to 14. you could be pushing 290+FSB!!! Especially if you are getting watercooling.

Check out my sig that is on air. I just got all the pieces for my watercooling setup so I am going to be installing it in the next week.

Prescotts really show their true colors and stretch their legs after about 3.7 to 3.8 at which point they are faster than Northwoods.

I highly recommend the 3.4E. Although mine is only stable to 240, I've watched it boot into windows at 250 (and then crash horribly shortly later). Just make sure you have the cooling to handle it. Prescott is built for higher speeds.

sp00L said:
I highly recommend the 3.4E. Although mine is only stable to 240, I've watched it boot into windows at 250 (and then crash horribly shortly later). Just make sure you have the cooling to handle it. Prescott is built for higher speeds.
Have you tried higher vcore with that? On water you can go up a little. :thup:

Sucka said:
What kind of cooling are you going to use? Overclocking this chip at all? What memory are you gonna use, looking for high GHz over FSB? What motherboard and PSU will be used?
I was planning on using Thermalright's new XP-90 which shows top results in the air cooling tests. I'm currently running a Zalman CNPS7000-u with temps of 32c no load and 48C under load. I'm running a MSI 865 mb (NEO 2) with 2gb (4x512) of PNY 3500 ram. The ram will be a limitation as the only way I can get 3.31ghz out my 2.6c is to run it 5:4 which is what I'll probably do with the 3.4e. I'm not changing the ram so I'll have to live with it. My PSU is an Enermax Noisetaker 600w so no problem there. This machine has been running stable under these conditions for over 6 mos.

2.8, 3.0 and 3.2 pressies have a lower thermal spec, if you jump to 3.4 you get the higher thermal spec, just something to be careful about.

~t0m

Sucka said:
I would have to disagree with that, what are you basing that on? I had a 3.0C and a 3.4C and my prescott's out performed them as the FSB went up. Plus the prescott's overclock better from what i've seen, and in my case as well. I'm curious to see what this new stepping can do as well, probably worth the wait to see, i'm sure someone will have results soon.

Yah ofcourse but with wank cooling it's possibly better to go for the northwood imo.. pressie's will only be better if you are able to clock them somewhat..

sp00L said:

I'm waiting for my 3.4F presscott currently and 775 mb etc.. they're the new E0 stepping... looking at your sig i'll hopefully be able to run 250fsb+ on water..

Very nice rig btw sp00l. U Going to be upgrading to the socket 775 chips? or sticking w/ what u have ?

Last edited:
I've dumped enough $$$ into this rig, I'll be sticking with it for a while. I can't bare to bite the bullet on a new vid card for PCIE yet and until 925 is noticeably faster than 875, I'm staying put. Maybe EMT64 will be the thing that gets us all off of socket 478 once and for all.

Last edited:
sp00L said:
I've dumped enough $$$ into this rig, I'll be sticking with it for a while. I can't bare to bite the bullet on a new vid card for PCIE yet and until 925 is noticeably faster than 875, I'm staying put.
Amen, bro.

prescott is good ocer but its too hot
if u have good cooling pick him
but air cooling is enough for nortwood

Anybody here know how hot the prescott would run using water....take a look at my temps in my sig using a 2.8C. What kind of temp increase could I expect to see, keeping in mind the results I'm getting now.

Back