• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping HDDs - Raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich

Registered
Help please! Questions on swapping HDDs, Raid0

I am about to replace my 2 Maxtors in Raid0 with 74Gb Raptors which will also be Raid0. My OS is XP Pro. See sig for system. Thanks beforehand for any help.

1) Can I simply swap the old drives for the new, boot with XP cd and a new install of XP? (Using install disk to partition and format the drives.)

2) The Raptors being installed have a different copy of XP on them. (Were run in Raid0 and purchased used.) Will there be any problems formatting these or reinstalling OS because XP Pro is already on them?

Last edited:
There is no reason I am aware of that tells anyone to treat Raptors differently. Create the array & install them like any other HDD & since you have already run RAID0 I'm sure your familiar with a CLEAN INSTALL procedure on the array. Good Luck & have fun the the new drives:beer:

Thanks for the help, but this is the 1st system I have built so am not familiar with a Clean Install. Have transferred all files I want to save to CDs. I was hoping to just swap the drives, install Xp, Raid and other required drivers, then reinstall programs. I do not even know if I will have to change Bios settings again, or if they will stay as they are now.
Thanks again. Rich

RAID0 Install Procedure:
  1. Set the all BIOS BOOT OPTIONS to the RAID Array
  2. Use the RAID function on the ICH5R so as to not have a bottleneck when using Raptors in RAID0 on your MoBo
  3. Create the Array using a 128K stripe since the ICH5R controller likes this larger stripe set, this will delete all the data on the HDD to be used
  4. When the MoBo does not see anything on the RAID0 Array it will automatically shift to the next boot device which will be your optical drive, press F6 on the very first setup screen to be able to install the RAID Drivers that you will have on a floppy
  5. Partition as you like then format, everything else goes as normal
Yes you will need a floppy drive, purchase one if you dont have one already even if its just to install the RAID. If you need more help just keep asking:beer:

Back