• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what cooler is best for my 9800pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawk2k2

Registered
I am looking into buying a new cooler and ramsinks for my gecube 9800pro 128mb with samsung chips. I want to flash it to a XT wen i get new cooling cause atm it can handle xt mhz.

I was wonder wot would be the best cooling. I have been looking at the Ati silencer 1 and vga silencer rev3. wot exactly is the diff between these? all i can find is that the vga silencer is cheaper. Also what is some good ramsinks that will fit with this cooling?

As u can probly tell i am looking for a quiet solution. Also is the zalman heatpipe with fan anygood or better than the arctic cooling?

Thanx heaps
Hawk

vga silencer and ocz ramsinks always get my vote - quiet and effective

will that cooler and ramsinks fit all together with my card? i hav heard a lot of compatibility issues with it

i have that setup on my sapphire 9800pro.... copper ocz ramsinks and the vga silencer rev3 (not to be confused with the ati silencer 3). You can see from my sig, my overclocks are quite good with this setup.

do u hav a r350 or r260 core? also is that a xt pcb and do u hav 128 or 256 of ram?

Hawk2k2 said:
do u hav a r350 or r260 core? also is that a xt pcb and do u hav 128 or 256 of ram?

I was fortunate enough to get the r360 core and xt pcb... so right now I have a 128mb 9800xt.... :bday:

Where's the best place to get these cooling goodies? I've tried CrazyPC and Heatsink Factory. Neither carried the VGA Silencer Rev. 3 nor the OCZ copper ram sinks. Thanks for your help in advance.

If you hurry, right now SVC.com has the Rev.3 for 9.99.

I am looking for the OCz ram sinks as well. Ill let you know what I find.

you can get the ocz copper ramsinks at svc.com or newegg.... but if i remember correctly newegg has the better price.

HousERaT said:
I was fortunate enough to get the r360 core and xt pcb... so right now I have a 128mb 9800xt.... :bday:
So the VAG SILENCER REV 3, fits on a XT???? Thats good news
I have the same situation you do. XT PCB, 360, Hynix....Arctic-cooling doesnt list the XT as a compatibility.
Id much rather get the VGA rev3 than the ati silencer cause its cheaper and performs pretty much the same.

Senater_Cache said:
So the VAG SILENCER REV 3, fits on a XT???? Thats good news
I have the same situation you do. XT PCB, 360, Hynix....Arctic-cooling doesnt list the XT as a compatibility.
Id much rather get the VGA rev3 than the ati silencer cause its cheaper and performs pretty much the same.

you have to understand what i'm saying.... my card is a 9800pro with the r360 core and the xt pcb... I've since flashed it to an xt so the card is essentially an xt.... but the rev3 vga silencer is not supported on a retail 9800xt..... for some reason it doesn't fit right.

no... a 9800pro is a 9800pro physically..... just it becomes like an xt when you flash it. So things that apply to the physical makeup of the 9800pro don't necessarily apply to the xt.... keep in mind that many people with 9800pros have the 128mb version whereas the xt only comes in 256mb... my guess is the position of the ram may make a difference.

http://bur.st/~hawky/1.JPG
http://bur.st/~hawky/2.JPG

Above is my card with 128mb samsung ram. is this a xt pcb or not? also is it possible for me to flash my card to a xt? I will see what core it has when i get my new cooling but im pretty sure its a r350. If I can flash it what is a good bios to use and is it possible for me to edit it?

Thanx in advance
Hawk

what are the zalman coolers like? I have read that they are not as good as the Arctic cooling coolers? what is it just easier to buy heatseeking fan and put on the graphics card?

Enigma plz try and construct proper sentances when u post. :p
yes the arctic coolers look better im thinking off getting one for my xt

yeh i read ur sentance like 5 times enigma to try and understaqnd it :S So can anyone answer my q's in my post above

Back