• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 installation problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mribnik

I decided to switch back from xp to 2000 because it plays some of my games better on my network.

I did the usual. Set my cdrom to first priority, booted into the windows setup, formatted the drive etc. After the drive formatted, and the computer restarted, it comes up with the windows screen and starts "preparing devices" or whatever. It gets about halfway through it and stops. My hdd light stops blinking and it just stops. I've tried it numerous times. I thought it might be a sata issue so I tried again by pressing F6 at the beginning of installation and installing the sata drivers but that didn't help either. Any ideas guys? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks a bunch!

hmmm, i went to "enable vga mode" and that seemed to have done the trick. I thought it froze again, so I went back to this computer to look up some stuff. When I went back to the other computer, it went through.

so like i said i did get it to work, but being the paranoid guy I am, I wanted to make sure that I had the fix. It still bothered me that it seemed to freeze for a good 20 minutes. I tried everything again and now it keeps getting stuck. Does anybody know what causes this problem? I've tried some things but would appreciate suggestions. I'd really like to get windows 2000 to work. Thanks a bunch!

possibly just a bios issue, i find that 2000 is harder on the resources (it uses them to a fuller extent)

put your bios to default everything for the install, and have fun setting all of hte nice options back (i know it takes me a good 15 mins do get it the way i like mine, but this usually works for me)

Back