• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossing over from NVidia, please help me cope

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WuChild

I was traumatized several years ago by a Radeon 7500, at night I would wake up screaming because none of my favorite games would work well with the card, I don't care whose fault it was, but NVidia made it all better, and I've been twitch-free for a couple years.

My latest card, the FX 5600 Ultra has been a good little workhorse, but the problem is I have been at ti4200 Ultra speeds since before that when I had a ti. Doom 3, and moreso... EQ2(beta) are painful to play. So it's time to upgrade.

When I upgrade I usually come to OCforums and cram a ton of info into my head then make a decision... after finding this card in a link on one of the posts here, I put my fears in a deep dark place and purchased this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-247&depa=1

PowerColor 9800 Pro
128mb
256bit

This is a big step for me, I've really been an NVidia guy for many years but the benchmarks and price and possibility of making this an XT on the cheap can't be beat! My question is... has anyone had personal experiences with this card by PowerColor? Specifically, will this be softmod-able?

I need some framerate badly, lets hope this works out! I'll let you guys know... I'm running benchmarks till the thing comes sometime in the next couple days.

If your going to Ati and not spend a ton of money I think that the 9800 is your best bet. I had a 9800 and loved it. Good luck with xt flashing. BTW how do you like EQ2? I have heard mixed feelings about it.

I'm a MS fan... it's how I make my money, debugging a VB database app as I write this. But I still can't see spending coin on Intel procs~

I have the same as you, an Athlon 2400+. Which will be upgraded to something with some decent bus speed by xmas.

Biofear said:
If your going to Ati and not spend a ton of money I think that the 9800 is your best bet. I had a 9800 and loved it. Good luck with xt flashing. BTW how do you like EQ2? I have heard mixed feelings about it.

EQ2 is fabulous in my opinion. I was an EQ closet dork for years while in school, spent a lot of time in that game. I think EQ2's game is 'balance' and it will be hard to play the min/max game without getting too far away from the middle, which is good for everyone but not for the elitists.

EQ is the greatest MMO ever and they have the $$$, the people and the experience to make a great sequel. I'll stop before I grow blue fanboi hair.

Back