• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro to XT Candidate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BleemZ

Registered
`lo All, just a quick question.

A friend gave me his ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and I was looking into doing the XT Softmod. I've run across a problem, I don't know who makes the card. According to him, it is an OEM ATI, but it doesn't look like any of the pictures Ive seen out there for a 9800 Pro.

It overclocks to 500/400, which in itself is amazing.

Is there some way to identify what this card is, and if its a good candidate for the mod? I assume it is because of the overclockability.

Thanks guys,

-B

About the only *sure* way is to pull off the heatsink, clean off the core, and see what you've got.

The R360 core is the 9800XT's core.

I have heard of varying success with the R350 core. Either way, you already have a great performer!

If you dont already have one, while you have the heatsink off, think abot slapping on an Ati Silencer Rev. 3. It will void any warranty you have (if any) but helps cool your card a LOT!

welcome to the forums!!!!!

if you look at the cards in the link below, you can figure out if you have the old 9800pro style card or the new xt 9800pro style card. check the core like mentioned above and also check the ram so you can determine the right bios for your flash. you can flash either the r350 or r360 core but only the r360 will give you the true 9800xt experience.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=0

Hey guys, thanks alot!

It just so happens to be an R360 core on the XT PCB. I'm guessing I got lucky. :)

I'll probably mod it tonight, I'll let ya's know and thanks for the welcoming!

-B

BleemZ said:
Hey guys, thanks alot!

It just so happens to be an R360 core on the XT PCB. I'm guessing I got lucky. :)

I'll probably mod it tonight, I'll let ya's know and thanks for the welcoming!

-B

Let us know how it worked out for you. Also did you should get a temp read out of your core with the XT PCB.

I recently did the soft mod from 9800pro 360 core to 9800XT,you can read about it here Be careful which BIOS you use.

Good Luck

Flash worked like a charm and I'm now the proud owner of a 9800 XT! Now its time to OC this thing and see how far she'll go!

Thanks to everyone that posted and all the informative posts around here.

-B

Back