• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9600 a good card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lagger

Registered
Im currently using a Geforce 2 GTS 64mb and i can pick up a Saphire Radeon 9600 256MB at a local PC store for 120$. i want to know if it would be a good buy and last me a while and how it would run doom3.

I would stay clear of the 256MB 9600's. The 128MB Versions are much better cards. The 256MB versions have slower clocked ram, therefore negating their performance compared to the 128MB versions. It would probably play doom3 at very minimal settings, but it wouldnt look very good. I wouldnt get the 256MB.

My friend has a Sapphire 9600pro 256 and it is a very nice card.I would spend a bit more for the pro and not worry as much about the amount of memory.The ram may or may not be slower than the 128mb version.I like the idea of having 256mb's,It takes out the chance of having to use the super slow agp memory.

Go for a 9500pro its has double the piplines and overclockz great (will post results by friday) after you flash it tht is :)

A 9500pro would be a good choice, but in most cases its about teh same speed as a 9600xt, makes more heat and is harder to find.

For that price, it's a good card.

You will be able to play Doom3 et al with it, albeit at medium to low gfx settings.

If I had a pound (yes, a Pound) for every "LoL d00d - 9600 sux - get a 9500/9800/X800 etc" I'd be rich. 9600's are good cards for the price, and if that's what you can afford, it's a GREAT card. You'll certainly notice a great improvement over your GF2 gTS....

For the price iwould spend the little extra money for the XT version, Or better yet find a 9700pro they can be around the $150 price range and will be so much faster by almost 50fps in some games.

I have a 9600XT and i just beat half-life2 i ran it with 6x AA and 16x AF all high settings, including Vsync on at 1024x768. I got about
70 fps in smaller rooms
50 fps in larger rooms
35-40 fps outside
in battle depending on size of battle ranged from 20-50

The only problem i found was when entering a large room or going outside from inside i would drop to 1-3 fps for about 2 seconds then it would go back to normal. I think thats pretty decent considering how new HL2 is.

Doom3 was way more demanding for some reason. I would run about 30 fps at 8x6 with medium settings and in battles i got as low as 10. I didn't trust those reads as much cause i hadn't formatted ina very long time and my computer was already sluggish.

Wow....thats impressive. Are you sure your anti-alaising is working, because my friend's XT gets about that framerate with no AA.

Back