• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with 9800 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryke_One

i have recently been having troubles with lines on my monitor screen , going from the top of the screen to the bottom spaced about 1.5 to 2 inches apart on 1280x1024 resolution. These lines also apper in safe mode.
The card itself was purchased in december and was working fine untill about the begining of october when the lines started to begin after installing starwars battlefront.

I initialy thought it was a problem with my drivers, after reading about compatiblility problems with the game and the ati drivers. After rolling back to the drivers that were provided with the card and still finding that the lines still appered i removed the card and cleaned out the agp slots. Finding that that didnt help i returned the game and got a new copy. That only solved the problem for about a week and a half. After that time the lines began to return.

Before removing the card the lines would only appear when the computer was playing starwars battlefront or if it was left on over night. When i got my second copy i noticed that when the lines returned they would begin as soon as windows started, as soon as it reached the log in screen.

At this point i was given instructions to reset my bios and adjust my agp speeds and settings. This provided no soloution to my problems. After trying many different solutions and all of them not working i reformated yesterday thinking that that may help.

As soon as windows started up again the lines had returned. Although without the catylist drivers the lines covered the whole screen.
I had also found out that pressing print screen would cause the lines to appear thicker. The monitor also seems to shake slightly every once and awhile. The lines are about an inch thick and seem to be colored mainly green and pink. When the window is moved the lines dissapear but quickly return.
The mouse curser also seems unafected as moving it over the lines shows it either sitting over the lines or it may seem like it is erasing them or rearangeing them.

could this be a problem with the videocard or could it be something else?

....I am running a AMD athlon 2500+ barton @1.83, Abit AN7 motherboard, Corsair 512m PC3500 ram, ati 9800 pro and a maxtor 80 gig hard drive.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The symptoms you have described may perhaps be due to heat? Leaving the PC on all night will mean the graphics card will heat up, also running a graphics intensive game will heat the card up quickly perhaps making the affects appear quicker. I would check that the cooling apparatus is properly attached and that if you have installed an aftermarket device then contact is proper and sufficient.

there could be serveral reasons why you're seeing this.... my first thought would be to check the card to see that it's seated correctly..... the second thing I'd suggest is to check the power cable going into the card.... sometimes they can make a bad connection and cause the lines you're talking about..... also what kind of cooling are you using?

Thanks for the advice

i have checked the cooling fan on the card itself and it is seated properly. i have also checked the seating of the card and is in the agp slot correctly. i am just using the stock cooling fan that came with the card with no modifications and i have not done any overclocking of the video card itself. Aswell as the fan on the card, i have 2 case fans blowing directly on the card.

Moving the mouse making some lines disappear? Looks like possibly a virus.
I would update your anti-virus software and scan the HDD for viruses.

i have scaned the drives multiple times and fould nothing using norton 2004 with the latest updates.
although if it was a virus wouldnt the refromating have deleated it?

Back