• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lookin for LED temperature displays....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surreal

'Surreal please contact Krag ASAP'
I need a LED temperature display module. All the ones I found (google/ebay) are all $100+ and quite large. I want a smaller one. I also need an alarm on it.

any one seen som thing like this?

uh... i think you mean LCD, if you want one chep you might want to check this out, as for an alarm theres software tht you can get for that...

Would a schematic do?

If so, what kinda alarm do you need?

I'm probably gonna build something like that pretty soon (To monitor the temp. of my coldplate and have it turn off my PC when it gets too warm).

That is precisely what i am doing....!
The Falcon Temperature meters in the above link work great for that. I have build three systems around them. IT is backlite, with HIGH and LOW alarms. Cost only $25 and $6.12 per sensor. When the temp falls above or below the set point the respective output goes "HIGH" giveing enough of a signal to drive a transistor in turn latches the relay and finally breaking the curcuit of AC to the ATX PSU.

I would rather buy on off the shelf. But I would enjoy a schematic anyday!!

oh yeah didnt realize that maybe try finding a independent one and trying to mod it with a different screen useing the controller?

Surreal said:
That is precisely what i am doing....!
The Falcon Temperature meters in the above link work great for that. I have build three systems around them. IT is backlite, with HIGH and LOW alarms. Cost only $25 and $6.12 per sensor. When the temp falls above or below the set point the respective output goes "HIGH" giveing enough of a signal to drive a transistor in turn latches the relay and finally breaking the curcuit of AC to the ATX PSU.

I would rather buy on off the shelf. But I would enjoy a schematic anyday!!
The Falcon meters are hard to beat for $25, but I think LED displays look really great for voltage and temp. measuring (Too bad I haven't seen them over here...yet?).

I'm not sure yet about the features I'd like the temp. display to have, I was thinking about 1 High temp. alarm (cuts off all power when the coldplate gets too warm) and 2 low temp. 'alarms' (One low temp. will turn the PC on after you hit the power button and when the coldplate gets cold enough (To obtain maximum OC) and the other will turn the PC off in case of a hardware/software failure (So you won't be waisting energy if something is wrong, and to reduce the risk of condensation).

If you would like some other features, or if you have any ideas let me know.

BTW: I'm not an EE but I know a bit about electronics, with the help of some people I know it shouldn't be too hard to build something like this (One minor problem may rise....I'll probably end up using a PIC).

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but this is what I use.

Digidoc 5+

Has 8 temp sensors. Plus 12 and 5V voltage display. Now the downside is that the fan controller is really just a relay that turns the fans on at a certain temp and off at a certain temp. So because of this I don't use them. I have other fan controllers for that. However you could easily wire up a 12V piezo alarm to one of the fan plugs and then when it reached a certain temp that you set it would turn on the alarm.

I bought it just for reading temps and voltages (which I checked against a fluke meter and it is dead on.) Just an idea

digidoc is LCD and not for my fancy....

KILLorBE...

Some good features there. To have the PC turn on when the LOW point is reached will take a a few good hours of soldering away. It will be simpler to make a "on after delay" circuit. 7 seconds or so should be enough to get to a good start up temp. Now I have drawn up a schematic for the "on at LOW point". It is much more complex than the "on after delay". IF it is ABSOLUTLY CRITICALfor the stabilty and or health of the CPU go with the "on at low point" That will be the only situation to warrent the making of the OALP circuit. (that is me at least)

Now for the WC system to turn off in the event the computer freezes..... THat sounds really cool. This is how i imagine it work.... When the computer is booted up a small program will be activated. IT will give a clock signal out the the "controler board" via SERIAL port. The first clock signal will activate the CTL (controller board) The CTL board has an "on after delay" curcuit with will latch a relay thus turning off main power. (could be pwr to the ATX PSU, which will also kill the PUMP/TEC) The OAD curcuit will be set for lets say three minutes.(if not reset in 3 min the realy will latch) The program signals every 2 minutes. When the CTL gets the program's clock signal it will reset power the the OAD curcuit. Finally when the PC freezes it will no longer emit the signal to reset the CTL's OAD curcuit and BAM down goes the system! This will be easy to build and use...as for the program I am sure many people on the forums can do it. The CTL should consist of few parts.

PICs are really neat.. never worked with them :(

I hope I did not dumb down to much... I am not a good story teller.

Back