• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 9600 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borisw37

Hello,
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive video card. I have settled on 9600 pro or xt, with 256mb. But i cant decide on the manufacturer. Does the manufacturer have a great effect on the performance?
I am looking for something with decent quiet colling, no tiny fan running at 10K rpm. And possible a card that can be mildly overclocked with stock cooling.

Please post your suggestions,

Thank you,

Boris.

I think that the extra money spent to get the 256mb is not worth it, since that by the time you need that extra mem your card won't be fast enough to run the game, and if you give up on the 256mb you can get an 9700pro, or a 9800pro used or refurbed.

New = 9600xt 128mb.
Used = Whatever is in your price range, you can get 9700's and softmoddable 9500's for less than a 9600xt new.

Dont worry too much about the manufacturer. Even though it may seem cheap, akk the parts used to build the card come from ATI, so no real difference.

ATI 9600XT all the way

Tell ya what, I upgraded from my 9200 to an ATI 9600XT and it's great. It cost me around 180 dollars here. I play Doom 3 and it handles it great. Great card for the money, and I'd go with ATI brand if I were you.

My card has 128mb ddr and like they said, don't get 256mb ddr, doesn't really make a difference. The card comes with a big hs and the fan doesn't make any noise.

Last edited:
My 9600xt runs good in doom3 but I see white specks every now and then.I'm not too sure what it is but I don't worry much about it since it don't look too bad maybe it's cause the framrate.

I heard with some cards oc'd that doom 3 artifacts because it is stressing the card too much and therefore you have to back off the OC a bit until you no longer get the artifacts.

Back