• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Radeon 9800xt problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mysubaruimp

I think I made this in the right forum..

I have a Radeon 9800xt made by sapphire. I have had it for about 6 months or so. I leave my computer on 24/7 with the occasional reboot. I come home from work today and it is off, I assume power went out and turn it back on. I notice that it is making some nasty noises, sounds like the hard drive is grinding, upon further inspection it was the fan on my video card. It was spinning very slowly and sounded like it was rubbing on something. I turn off the comp so I dont damage anything (boot up screen was showing on monitor at this point, so the card still works). I take the card out and try to spin the fan by hand, it makes the same grinding type noise. If I spin it very slowly it doesnt make any noise and spns freely, but when I spin it fast it grinds/feels like it is catching on something. It is a little dusty, but not too much that I would worry about.

I am not wanting to take it apart to see what is up for fear of voiding any warranty it may have. I bought it through Newegg.com and bought the extended (3 year?) warranty.

I dont know much about computers, but I know just enough to get into trouble.
My voltages have all been very stable and very close to what they should be

System specs-

P4 3.0Ghz, OC'd to 3.3Ghz (big Zalman HS)
Sapphire 9800xt (duh)
Asus p4c800e-deluxe mobo
1Gig Corsair xms platinum series ram
200Gb Western Digital HD
Forget brand of PS. but it is very good, 450W, two fans
Plenty of case cooling

Not sure if anyone has any advice? What should I do? Any other questions feel free to ask, and if you need to ask someting like "was your power button turned on", go for it, I wont get insulted.

there's a problem if there is an occasional reboot. Computer should not reboot on its own. not occasionally, not ever, unless initiated by you.

Send the card back. You don't want to risk your warranty by taking the fan apart and there might still have been damage to the card because of the fan.

Know Nuttin said:
there's a problem if there is an occasional reboot. Computer should not reboot on its own. not occasionally, not ever, unless initiated by you.

Send the card back. You don't want to risk your warranty by taking the fan apart and there might still have been damage to the card because of the fan.

Sorry, I guess I mis-stated that. The only time it reboots is when I tell it to.

Fans will die eventually.I would replace the whole heatsink fan.I's not that hard to do.
Unless you feel better waiting sending it in for repair.That could take a while.

mysubaruimp said:
Sorry, I guess I mis-stated that. The only time it reboots is when I tell it to.

VOICE ACTIVATION!?!?!!? Swweeeeet :D

If you got the warranty, use it :) Send it back as broken fan.

~t0m

I agree with aNTiChRisT. You spent the money on your extended waranty, the card's fan died, make use of it :)

BTW: This belongs in the ATI section since it's specifically about an ATI card, but you're new so it's no biggie.
*moves to ATI*

JigPu

JigPu said:
I agree with aNTiChRisT. You spent the money on your extended waranty, the card's fan died, make use of it :)

BTW: This belongs in the ATI section since it's specifically about an ATI card, but you're new so it's no biggie.
*moves to ATI*

JigPu

I did know that, but I was afraid I wouldnt get the responses if I out it in there, less people view it.

Thanks for the help, guess Ill be calling up Newegg today.

Back