• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dumb question, but i have to ask.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I know what your gonna say about this ha ha.

I am considering buying a pair of new seagate hard drives to use with my motherboards onboard raid.
SEAGATE 160GB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM SATA W/ NCQ 8MB CACHE 8.5MS 3.5IN OEM $140 cdn

Well, my biggest concern is not about whether my raid controller will support these properly but moreso... power. When i baught my antec psu last year, i cut off the two sata leads to clean up the inside of my case a little. so i have 5 standard molex connections, one floppy atx12v atx and thats all. its nice and clean, but lacks forsight! i never thought i would be looking for a new sata driver with it so i have to ask.
Do new SATA drives come with molex > Sata converters? can you buy them seperatly if i were to buy oem?
This will be pretty sweet if i can get it going. $280 cdn for 320 gigs of rain 0. awsome for my gaming habbits and rediculous anime collecting ^^

Thier are Adapters you can buy in Compusa or Somewhere similer that have one end as a molex connection and another the SATA power plugg for the HDD. So before you buy the drives just go out and search for them they should be like $5 each pretty cheap. I know thier are some SATA drives that have both a Molex and SATA pluggins n them, but im not sure about seagate, im kinda newb to HDD's, so the only one i know that has this is my Raptor. But yea i do know they have those little Adapters you plugg into a molex and the other end is for the SATA plugg on the HDD. My Epox board came with one but my Antec has 2 off them already

thank you. i should buy the drive retail because im sure i would get these converters with it. but... good oem price.. $10 for conversion cables isnt too bad.
THanks for heads up. I have upgraded every part of my pc to date but never the hard drives. its really time to get more than 80 gigs. and faster is always nice too. just wish i had the foresight to not nip and tuck my psu so hard ha ha. ah well. live and learn. next box will likely need 400 watts ++ anyway.

Back