• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Celeron 667?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gutrguy

I just bought a new motherboard Take a look I have a 667 Celeron that i want to overclock with it...this will be my first attempt to overclock, can anyone give a few pointers?

Well first off I'd take a read of the beginner guides on overclockers.com

But in your case, go into the bios by pressing 'del' when your comps booting. From there do some looking to find FSB adjustments and VCORE adjustments. I think its 'Hardware Management' on MSI boards but I'm not certain.

Then, increase the FSB one step, restart while saving settings and you should be overclocked.

Continue to do this until a game or benchmark is unstable, in which a VCORE bump is needed. Only up it one notch, and never more than 1.9V (for the most part)

And get a quality heatsink. Not an orb. A cheap alternative is a Volcano 5, which work nicely with the cool(relatively :)) celerons.

Good luck.

your mobo doesnt look like much of an overclocker however....your best bet is to set ythe fsb at 100 and do everything you can to make it run at that speed....a mobo with fsbs of onyl 66 100 and 133 arent too good...

funnyperson1 said:
your mobo doesnt look like much of an overclocker however....your best bet is to set ythe fsb at 100 and do everything you can to make it run at that speed....a mobo with fsbs of onyl 66 100 and 133 arent too good...

So if i set the FSB to 100 what kinda o/c speed do you think that would be?

Good luck. I was trying to overclock my buddy's Celeron 667 just this last weekend. Even with a good CPU cooler and Arctic Silver II and a couple extra case fans, the most I could get it to run was at 83 FSB (830 MHz). It would not even post at 1 gig (100 FSB) and this CPU is a cC0 stepping.

I have a cC0 667; I was able to get it to 950mhz - 95 mhz FSB. Wouldn't go any higher even with extra vCore. Fun to play with but not the best choice for a Celeron to Overclock; that 10x multiplier is just no good.

Im on a tight budget...so i bought that new board, and will have a case come in the mail next week sometime...i have HDD, ram, graphics card, ect....but i just wanted to get away from this OEM compaq that im useing now. Figured i could save a few bucks and just take the Celeron out of it and use it for the one that im building.

Any suggestions for a decent processor for the buck would be appreciated....im just not lookin to kill my wallet...car insurance already does a good job of that.

Well I see that that board has a 815I Northbridge correct me if I am wromg but doesn't that give OC problems with the northbriodge becomeing unstable?

Also good cooling is a must you could try some place like plycon.com they have a nice range of heatsinks. I my self am soon going to get a SK-6 or a PEP66 people complain of wanting to Overclock but not wanting to spend the cash for the cooling. Yet they will pay $300+ for a GF3 its crazy. Overclocking causes more heat to come out of the CPU so you need better cooling.

Good luck on the OC.

Drop down to a 600 Celeron, or an 800.

Either will be really cheap and overclock very nicely.

Back