• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest 86 - How long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shuRe

Being new to o/cin just wondered how long u guys leave memtest86 running for when testing timings, and what tests you do that take forever.

Thanks

24 hours is the minimum time for complete testing im sure other people have different views but i would test for a minimum of 24 hours

bench for stability as long as youd plan to leave your cpu/mem doing the hard work...

as for me, i wouldnt leave my computer for more than 8 hours (overnight) enconding mp4 or stuff, so i always shoot for 8 hours... that would be enough to encode about 6 hours of video, much more than i encode a month :p

Memtest, i loop test 5 for ~ 30 mins then have a shot at windows. If it boots, they get a brief 1mb superpi then at least 6 hours of prime. Any failing at said FSB gets ~ 6 hours memtest.

bench for stability as long as youd plan to leave your cpu/mem doing the hard work...

as for me, i wouldnt leave my computer for more than 8 hours (overnight) enconding mp4 or stuff, so i always shoot for 8 hours... that would be enough to encode about 6 hours of video, much more than i encode a month

This is a very common misconception about stability testing; just because your computer can pass 8 hours of stability testing, doesn't mean that it is guaranteed to run stably for you for 8 hours, regardless of what you are doing with it.

After an insignifigant time period of stability testing, a potential for instability can still exist, which could manifest itself at any time. With memory in particular, you want to be as certain as possible that everything is rock solid stable.

Generally, it is understood that 24 hours of stability testing is the minimal amount of time required to weed out any potential for instability. When I'm testing out a memory overclock for stability I run memtest86 for 24 hours or more looped on tests 1 through 7.

It's worth your time to take a look at the thread "The Definitive Guide to Stability Testing", that's linked up in blue text in my signature :)

Back