• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake vs. Thermalright

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxoverclocker

Hey guys, I hav a thermaltake spark 7+ that I just lapped and am going to be adding a 90mm thermaltake fan to it, the hs is made for 70mm fans... I don't know exactly how i am going to mount it (any ideas?) but zipties just might have to come into the plan lol. The alternative would for me to get another heatsink and that fan, i was thinking the thermalright sp-90 (got .13 c/w on overclockers.com {BUT it was done with a 92mm vantec tornadeo which i think is cheating lol}) I really don't want to spend the money but i want to get my 2.8c up to 3.6 or 3.8 could I do this with my spark 7? thanks for the input.

You need better cooling to get that speed, you are looking at a very large oc for a northwood. Get the XP-90 with a decent 92mm fan.

Condsider This:

Thermaltake Spark 7+ has a c/w of .26 using a 43dba/50cfm 70mm fan.
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/heatsinks/thermaltake/spark/

The XP-90 has a c/w of .18 using a 90mm Vantec Tornado running at 1500rpms. "The 90 mm fan at 1500 rpm is very quiet."
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1094/

If you want the best, the XP-90 is obviously superior. One alternative in keeping your TT is to either zip-tie a bigger fan on, or buy a 70-80mm or 70-90mm funnel. Lowering your case temp of ducting your HSF is another helpful thing to keep in mind. You could probably push your P4 pretty far with the TT, but it sounds like it'll be at the cost of extra noise.

Well im looking at my choices and seems that if I am going to get a new cpu cooler i have 2 choices: the Thermalright XP-90, and the Thermalright XP-120. Do you guys REALLY think that the xp120 is worth all the money (which i don't have) ? and what do you think that i could hit with my lapped spark 7 with a 56 cfm fan? thx

lol ok i just looked at my case... xp-120 = no. lol my power supply would hit it no matter what so the xp-90 vs my thermaltake... .26 (thx for the info) vs .16 with the fan i want. I know the difference is huge but what would the overclock differences be?

Back