• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pete747

Just wanted some general feedback on my new endevor:

Lian Li V-1000
P4 3.4E
Thermalright XP-120????
Abit AG8-3rd Eye
1Gb Kingston Hyper-X PC-4000
ATI X700 PCI-Express????
3 - 120Gb Segate SATA HDs

Not sure what power supply to go with right now so I wouldn't mind any thoughts on that or any of the other question marked items above. Any suggestions are welcom. I wouldn't mind some good feedback on a video card for this system because I have to go with PCI-Express and don't want to spend $600.

u might wanna look at some western digital 10krpm hd's depending on what ur gonna use rig for if its gaming then yah definitley get the wd's but u may have ur reasons not for choosing this in the first place. They are a bit pricey but performance gain is good although there is a lot of controversy wether u do actualy get a performance gain. so u could get 2 36.7gb wd's raided and like one seagate as a backup hd.

For the psu look at a pc power and cooling they are very good stable psus

I may have lost the point of this whole thread have u built this pc or are u plannin to build it?

Well its on its way to being built. I have the case, memory, processor, motherboard, and the HDs. I don't have graphics, psu, or cooling system yet.
The WD's sound good but I live in Minnesota and my Dad's best friend was in charge of Segates HD development department for years and just quit this year. He was in charge of developing the first 10000 RPM drives which segate actually came out with but never for the consumer market. He said that its not worth the money unless you really just want windows to load faster. The seek times are not worth the extra price. You should hear about the drives that segate is going to come out with. Optically daisy chained HDs at 16000+ RPMs. You can just connect 20 of the together and hardly notice any slower seek times. I have no idea when they are going to come out but that would be sweet. Most likely years from now but sweet!

wow, i know this is an old argument but using raid0 will not show a significant performance improvement for most people. i'm sure that there are people out there who really find raid0 helps but for the most part the benefits are negligible

sounds tasty these 16krpm hds cant wait oh the future holds such wonders....

umm ne way on to ur q's i would say definitley go with the xp 120 possible the best air cooler out. The x700 is fine but if u have the money get an x800 pcie it would prevent you from having to upgrade sooner although u probably have ur reasons for choosing the x700.

Also I stick with my choice of psu go with a pc power and cooling as i said they are very reliable psu's if you want more info on them post over in cases and power supplies and ull get a lot of info on them.

welleverything else looks fine keep us posted of how the build goes and if u plan to oc make sure to post ur results.

Back