• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIX2 VS. Thermochill 120.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid_Cooled

so which one provides better cooling? Black Ice Xtreme 2 or Thermochill 120.2?

Which one would you guys rather have?

the BIX2 is sleeker and somewhat smaller.
the Thermochill has that nifty bleeding hole.

They are both dead sexy, I hope to get the 120.3 sometime. Do they both perform equally as well? Do you really care about the size? If so, go for the BIX2, if not then shoot for the Thermochill.

If you are getting ready for another setup, can't wait for the next one. The last one is still awesome in my books.

The thermochill is a little thinner, and has a better shroud on it. This leads me to believe it would perform a little better, especially if low speed fans are used.

Depends on the fans you are using, and whether or not you have a shroud. If you are using lower speed fans and don't plan on using a shroud, then get the Thermochill. If you have a shroud and are using high speed/high pressure fans, then get the BIX.

im using the 120.3 and to tell you its a biatch only cause so much dust gets caught in it even with a filter screeen. oopppsss i guess its not about the 120.3. anyways its a very nice rad cant really go wrong. I feel they perform about the same since current hardware cant really stress either one of these rads. But Prescotts are a different story. I would go for the 120.2

I dunno if it has a better built in shroud. The shroud will come in two pieces (Plates). It leaves a lot of holes all over the place. I had to use tape to seal up some of the holes.

Great, I was looking for answer to my question of BIX3 vs 120.3, but after reading this thread I'm even more confused.

I plan on running 6 sanyos is push/pull configs at 7volts or lower with a fan controller.
In this case, which radiator would perform better?

well, according to what people have said, if you use two shrouds (which you should) the BIX3 would be the better preformer with the Denkis. However, if you were to undervolt them significantly, which you might do, they would have a but less CFM/pressure, so then the 102.3 would be better. Again, this is just what ive read in this thread, no actual facts here.

Yes, the Black Ice Xtreme 3 and the Thermochill 102.3 are all 3x120mm rads. You can fit 6 fans on these if you put them in a push/pull setup, with one fan on each side of the rad, but IMO this isnt really necessary.

they have built in shrouds? it doesn't seem that way from all the pictures i've seen. are you sure?!

achilles, he was asking about a 3x 120mm shroud. i havent seen any

yes lomend, the have built in shrouds, but not like we are used to thinking about. these shrouds do not da much more than provide a fastening location for the fans. they do not provide the beneficial distance between the fan the radiator part, but they are considered built in shrouds.

ceo@eventures-s said:
Great, I was looking for answer to my question of BIX3 vs 120.3, but after reading this thread I'm even more confused.

I plan on running 6 sanyos is push/pull configs at 7volts or lower with a fan controller.
In this case, which radiator would perform better?

What is the decibels for a sanyo at 7 volts?

If you want decent shrouds for the ThermoChill HE120.2 and HE120.3 series rads, you can get a quick technical drawing to allow you to make your own from sheet metal / cardboard / plexi / whatever you like over here: http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=8509 about halfway down that post. You'll see the 2x drawings. Click on em to get em in fullzise PDF format. Haven't got round to putting them up on ThermoChill.com, but know they were published on overclockers.com not so long back as well...

Last edited:
If there is an built-in shroud, would it be beneficial for me to install another shroud? I'm limited on space in my case and if the built-in shroud is enough, that would make room for other components to fit like the pump. Also, if an extra shroud proves beneficial, is there one for the BIX III that anyone knows of? I'd use the technical drawing for the 120.3 but I don't know if that'll fit. =T

The built in shroud isnt much more than alloted space for fans. Your own shroud, giving about 1" of seperation between the fans and radiator, would help immensley, some say up to a 40% preformance increase, as well as a drop in noise. You can just make it out of cardboard, just make sure the fans line up decently well and youre set.

Back