• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Details about PC Power and Cooling 800w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-Mag

I just got off the phone with a PC Power and Cooling rep, because I needed to get a PSU exchanged... (I bought it off some dude on craigslist, and it was a dud)

Anyway, the new 800w will have a 60+amps on four seperate 12v rails.
It will also have two PCI-E connectors, Dual MB connectos, at least 2 serial ata power connectors, but he said maybe 4. :drool:

The sucker is big though, 9in's long!

It will cost about $460, so it ain't cheap, but if your gunna go with a dual 6800Ultras, you probably got the cash anyway....

Alienware is taking almost all of the supplies that are being manufactured and it wont be availble to the public until about the 3rd week of January. But then again, I heard the newest revision of the nforce4 silicon cant go past 800mhz HT, so the real good boards won't be available until around then anyway.

Just thought I'd share.

Why in the world would you need 800 watts? Will the current 510 Deluxe not run dual 6800 Ultras? I think it would be a lot more cost effective to pick up a Stacker, and throw in two Fortron 530s. 1060 watts for $160. That's what I'm talking about.

ZachM said:
Why in the world would you need 800 watts? Will the current 510 Deluxe not run dual 6800 Ultras? I think it would be a lot more cost effective to pick up a Stacker, and throw in two Fortron 530s. 1060 watts for $160. That's what I'm talking about.

You know it might even be an 850w beast I cannot remember...

PC Power and Cooling is stating that it Alienware is currently integrating them into the Dual Xeon Dual GPU machines...

Also I have heard that running multiple PSU's can fry equipment. For instance if you are running one to power your MB and another for Your Gpu(s) you can fry your video subsystem... I guess if you were to run you MB and GPU(s) on one PSU and your Drives on another it would be all good.

I would like to find a PSU that outputs only 5v and 12v.

J-Mag said:
Also I have heard that running multiple PSU's can fry equipment. For instance if you are running one to power your MB and another for Your Gpu(s) you can fry your video subsystem... I guess if you were to run you MB and GPU(s) on one PSU and your Drives on another it would be all good.

Do you mean only powering the video cards would cause problems? Or do you mean if one blows (from a defect) it will kill your cards? If you are running your whole system on 1 PSU and it blows, in theory, it could fry your whole comp. With the dual PSU you would only fry the video, or mobo system.

Give me some links to explain what you are talking about. If there really is a problem running dual PSUs, then it would be good to know.

grunjee said:
If you ask me, a PCPC PSU with those specs is a relative bargain at $460.

Why do you say that? If the dual thing works you could get more power from 2 510 Deluxes for around the same price.

There is no way that I can think of that it would be possible to destroy your video cards if they were on a seperate PSU. You are basically just using only certain rails. A Power supply can be used however you want. Whether this be for 1v or the max it can put out. The choice is up to how you use the voltages/amps. Doesn't matter if you are using the 3.3v, 5v, or 12v rail; they all do the same thing.

Turd Furguson said:
There is no way that I can think of that it would be possible to destroy your video cards if they were on a seperate PSU. You are basically just using only certain rails. A Power supply can be used however you want. Whether this be for 1v or the max it can put out. The choice is up to how you use the voltages/amps. Doesn't matter if you are using the 3.3v, 5v, or 12v rail; they all do the same thing.

Let's just say for arguments sake, that the GND on one PSU is 5V above GND on the other... what would happen then?

ZachM said:
Do you mean only powering the video cards would cause problems? Or do you mean if one blows (from a defect) it will kill your cards? If you are running your whole system on 1 PSU and it blows, in theory, it could fry your whole comp. With the dual PSU you would only fry the video, or mobo system.

Give me some links to explain what you are talking about. If there really is a problem running dual PSUs, then it would be good to know.

Why do you say that? If the dual thing works you could get more power from 2 510 Deluxes for around the same price.

I cannot remember where I saw this, but I have seen it on a couple forums where guys were powering their 9800pro with one PSU and everything else with another and it totally killed either the card or the MB...

Maybe I saw it on Hardforum...

Back