• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alright to Run 2 Routers Using DHCP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
as long as they on separate subnets you should be fine. I run 2. The first is a linksys 4 port wired which is attached to the cable modem. I then have a Dlink wireless attached to a port on the linksys. The linksys IP addy is 192.168.1.1 and the Dlink is 192.168.0.1. The Dlink just pulls an IP from the linksys as its WAN IP but it really is a Linksys LAN IP of 192.168.1.110. Now whomever connects wirelessly to the DLINK will get an IP's in the range of 192.168.0.1XX and then the DLINK does its NAT magic and sends them to the Linksys as 192.168.1.110 jsut as a router does connected to the net.

This way I can run a Hotspot with the DLink and the ones connected to that router can't see my local LAN. Works great.

Yesterday, I did something quite similar to what FightingPiper did, and I must say that it's nifty. I can set up internet servers or systems I don't want messed with (folding rigs for instance) and still host a LAN without worrying about someone screwing with my systems over the network.

Kaso: Having two DHCP servers improperly configured is a recipe for disaster ;)

Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask this is that my main router is not giving out ip addresses to 5 of the 30 computers I have on my network. But when enable DHCP on the second router, everything seems to work fine. Also what kind of disasters are you guys talking about? thanks for the help.

Yep it'll be H*ll having to DHCP on your network. I remember I did accidently and had SOOOO many connection problems. Computers getting kicked off the net and such. Save yourself the headache and only run one. :)

So could someone explain why some of the computers are not getting ip's when the second router's DHCP server is off? thanks

Back