• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen going blank on 9800pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doodles

I just picked up a 9800pro 128mb (ATi Brand). Ran it for a day or so with no problems. I decided to check if i had a R360 so i took of the HS to find that I had a R350 :(

So I popped the HS back on with some arctic silver 3 and now I am getting blank screens after playing a game for about 30min or so. Its like the connection to the monitor goes dead.

I thought i applied the AS3 correctly, but I couldnt find much info on using it for GPU's. I Cleaned the left over grease off the processor and and HS then put a small amount of AS3 on the GPU and even'd it out with a razor blade (not a very thick layer) then put the HS back on. Im also a noob, so I got a bit of AS3 on the lower part of the processor around the pins but I cleaned it up pretty good. I cant think of anything else that could be causing it... HS seems to be locked onto the card pretty good.

I did do the "Find Max Core" thing a few times previously, could that have damaged the card?

well it sounds like you must've done your own research to learn how to apply the thermal paste, but if you're unsure about your job you could take pics of your next job and see what we think (pics are the best way to get a response here almost always)...

so anyway, is this a new card? If this problem began happening within the first month or so after you got the card, and not IMMEDIATELY after your first HS removal, its possible that you may need an RMA for a defective card...

also, if you do get around to using/borrowing a digicam, you might take a closeup of what you consider "cleaned it up pretty good," as that may be a factor - a few guys around here might even be able to pick up any slight damage you may have done with a pic like that as well.

to be sure, this problem NEVER occured before you removed the HS right?

Back