• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4200 or 4600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goateh

Right, well as the topic says. My radeon seems like its going to die soon, and I'm just sick of the hassle of helping it start up :/

I'm too poor to get a next gen card or a 9800 or anything like that (Remember, I come from NZ, our dollar sucks).

So atm my choices are between:
Gainward Ti4200 Golden Sample
Leadtek Ti4600 A250 Ultra

Input would be helpful :)

What's the price difference on them? If it's not too much, the 4600 is obviously faster, but the 4200 can still play lots of games with ease.

Another issue I'm not sure of, but isn't the 9500Pro a DX9 card? I know the Ti series is a DX8 card, so what would be lost by going back to DX8?

Bios24 said:
What's the price difference on them? If it's not too much, the 4600 is obviously faster, but the 4200 can still play lots of games with ease.

Another issue I'm not sure of, but isn't the 9500Pro a DX9 card? I know the Ti series is a DX8 card, so what would be lost by going back to DX8?

Read his thread, READ it!

Price difference isn't much, and yes the 9500pro is a dx9 card. The loss would be me wanting to play hl2 (although I think the 9500pro would probly crap its pants trying to play hl2 with dx9).

Goateh said:
Right, well as the topic says. My radeon seems like its going to die soon, and I'm just sick of the hassle of helping it start up :/

I'm too poor to get a next gen card or a 9800 or anything like that (Remember, I come from NZ, our dollar sucks).

So atm my choices are between:
Gainward Ti4200 Golden Sample
Leadtek Ti4600 A250 Ultra

Input would be helpful :)
The Leadtek will clock a whole lot harder on the memory, but has those rinky-dink fans. If the cost difference is not much and you care about the OC the Ti4600 is a no-brainer. But to be fair, even if you achieve 100MHz more on the memory clock with the Ti4600 a GF4Ti is pretty much a GF4Ti in terms of the games it can realistically play.

Plus, Gainward Ti4200s had that pink screen problem, maybe fixed--maybe not.

Well, i do care about overclocking... But I'm kinda starting to wonder wether the 9500pro will be able to play hl2 on its dx9 path.. without crapping its pants, not to mention the whole... complains about no power on startup :/

Last edited:
Seriously, there's no real point in getting a Ti4600 anymore.

If your that cheap and can't afford anything else, i suggest a new hobby. ;)

Save up for a 9800Pro or a 9600XT, or maybe try ebay or the MM here? for a 9700pro, would be well cheap.

Like Larva said, a GF4Ti is a GF4TI no matter what clocks you get it to. It's ok for older games, like Quake 3 engine one's etc, but anything DX9, it will be slow, and it can't use AA and AF, without being a slideshow.

I had a Gainward Ti4600 and it was sweet, but it showed it ages so i upgraded. :thup:

Goateh said:
Well, i do care about overclocking... But I'm kinda starting to wonder wether the 9500pro will be able to play hl2 on its dx9 path.. without crapping its pants, not to mention the whole... complains about no power on startup :/

HL2 will have a 8.1 and 8.0 backwards compatibility mode. Meaning, the TI4600 should have no problem with it.

I can't see a 9500PRO having too much of a problem playing the game either, it is a pretty good card to say the least.

Which PSU are you using, may I ask?

I have also bought a 4600 and it should be arriving in two weeks..i looked on about atleast 50 different benchmarks for this card and the card seem to perform well in alot of new games but as soon as AA and AF are turned on the card just stumblesx in these games other then that the card is great for the price.

get the ti4600 if price diff isnt much. And if it doesnt oc well, at least your stock speeds are much higher then the ti4200 speeds.

But if possible, get like a 9600XT.

Please for god sakes stop saying a 9500 pro is going to crap its pants. I keep trying to tell every one about the Half Life 2 engine but nobody will listen. My friend is running source on a 2.0 celly Fx 5200 128 and 256 ram. 1024X768 everything but models on high and he gets 33 fps. a 9500 pro is going to murder half life 2 i would bet my life on it. it also really depends on what cpu you have. My friends celly is struggling but it makes 33 fps fine.

Grov said:

Save up for a 9800Pro or a 9600XT, or maybe try ebay or the MM here? for a 9700pro, would be well cheap.

Like Larva said, a GF4Ti is a GF4TI no matter what clocks you get it to. It's ok for older games, like Quake 3 engine one's etc, but anything DX9, it will be slow, and it can't use AA and AF, without being a slideshow.

I had a Gainward Ti4600 and it was sweet, but it showed it ages so i upgraded. :thup:

Overclocking isn't a hobby for me, and what the heck is MM? and I'd rather not try ebay... as NZ currency is pretty bad, so spending ~$150US on a card would still run me almost 300$ ... it would be better forking out for a new card then :)

edit:: Oh and I"m using a iCute 400w PSU, that has run everything fine for the time I've had it (about 2years)

UndyingClocker said:
Please for god sakes stop saying a 9500 pro is going to crap its pants. I keep trying to tell every one about the Half Life 2 engine but nobody will listen. My friend is running source on a 2.0 celly Fx 5200 128 and 256 ram. 1024X768 everything but models on high and he gets 33 fps. a 9500 pro is going to murder half life 2 i would bet my life on it. it also really depends on what cpu you have. My friends celly is struggling but it makes 33 fps fine.

Ok, ok, ok it was just my perception thats all.

edit:: Btw, arn't the FX series forced to dx8.1 in source? Whereas the Radeons automatically use DX9? Or have I just gotten confused about something ?

Goateh said:
Overclocking isn't a hobby for me, and what the heck is MM? and I'd rather not try ebay... as NZ currency is pretty bad, so spending ~$150US on a card would still run me almost 300$ ... it would be better forking out for a new card then :)

edit:: Oh and I"m using a iCute 400w PSU, that has run everything fine for the time I've had it (about 2years)

Members market, god knows why i call it that, lol.

I meant people selling on here. :)

Grov said:

It seems that AA AF is brought up a lot, I must be the only one who has never used it. The TI4600 can still be a good if not great card for a online gamer. It will play Quake, CC, HL very well. A true 1 vs 1/team player is after FPS, not IQ. If you get the cfg's from all the great players, I bet there will not be one using AA AF or HQ or anything else other than the fastest settings possible.

If you are the type that likes to look around at all the pretty colors, noticing how green a tree is, or how not so grey the barrel of a shotgun is and not worried about kicking ***. Then yes, the TI4600 is not the way to go for AA AF.

I am that poor and that cheap, but still choose this as my hobby. This is also a site to come to, to help the poor souls (like me) make the most of what we do have.

I do agree, the 9600XT is the sweet spot for the poor asses such as myself.:(

Life can be hard, but someone has to play the role of whatever character we label. Laterz!

football said:
It seems that AA AF is brought up a lot, I must be the only one who has never used it. The TI4600 can still be a good if not great card for a online gamer. It will play Quake, CC, HL very well. A true 1 vs 1/team player is after FPS, not IQ. If you get the cfg's from all the great players, I bet there will not be one using AA AF or HQ or anything else other than the fastest settings possible.

If you are the type that likes to look around at all the pretty colors, noticing how green a tree is, or how not so grey the barrel of a shotgun is and not worried about kicking ***. Then yes, the TI4600 is not the way to go for AA AF.

I am that poor and that cheap, but still choose this as my hobby. This is also a site to come to, to help the poor souls (like me) make the most of what we do have.

I do agree, the 9600XT is the sweet spot for the poor asses such as myself.:(

Life can be hard, but someone has to play the role of whatever character we label. Laterz!

So your saying IQ doesn't matter.

Yay it can play quake 3, CS well. Who the hell cares about those old games.

A ti4600 just doesn't cut the mustard.

You have a 5900, so you don't know the world of AA and AF. Af at 16x has a big difference for me.

The people you are on about are complete geeks who play CS all day and need 100fps, and play at 640 res to get it.

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

Back