• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

74GB raptor or 160GB ATA100 X 2 In raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

my friend is trying to built a new PC, he's undecided on what format to use, planning on a 74GB raptor for around 150 bucks, but the local fry store will sale 2 160 GB maxtor with 8mb buffer 7200 RPM for 150 too, any bright ideas on this one?

well as for loading time, the raptor will absolutely kill the maxtor drives. But if he wants space then the 320GB of storage is the way to go. It really depends on what he wants, speed or storage

true, but if you are striping for speed, you are still only going to have 160GB of space. The rotational speed is very nice on the raptors, but if you are going to get SATA drives for either option, I would say the two 160GB drives in a RAID 0 array is the way to go.

well, it still sounds like the same conclusion to me. 160GB of darn fast drives is still better than 74GB of really darn fast drive, especially if the 160's are Seagates so he gets a 5 year warranty.

you get 5 year warranty with the raptors aswell.

74gb raptors are a lot faster then raid-0 with 7200rpm drives... Ive gone from 1x 7200rpm drive to 2 in raid-0, then to 2x36gb raptors then to 1x36gb raptor(faster then 2 raptors in raid-0 cause better access time) then to a 74gb raptor. Would NEVER go back to running my main hdd as anything slower then a 74gb raptor.

Trust someone who has had experience with lots of hdds. Get the 74gb raptor. You wont regret it....

Posidon42 said:
true, but if you are striping for speed, you are still only going to have 160GB of space. The rotational speed is very nice on the raptors, but if you are going to get SATA drives for either option, I would say the two 160GB drives in a RAID 0 array is the way to go.

I think you are thinking about raid-1 (where one drive duplicates the other drive (back up).... and therefore you only have the space of 1 of the drives. In raid-0 both harddrives work in tandem and combine there gb of space to form 1 large drive... in this case a 320gb (realistically more like 300gb of usable space)

yeah, you are right. I was confusing mode 0 and mode 1, but if it were up to me, I would still get the two 160s :)

I had dual 74GB Raptors before my main system was stolen after the hurricane, but I'm getting them again. My response lies therein. :)

Although I might consider running dual 250GB MaxLine III's in R-0...mmm.
I got mine for $115, and received it before they noticed the pricing error. I'm wishing I had gotten two.

Remember that for desktop applications, seek speed is far more important than transfer rate in terms of overall percieved performance. The Raptor has seek speeds comparable to top-of-the line SCSI drives, while a RAID 1 array will actually induce additional latency in the system, resulting in perceptably slower overall responsiveness.

I'd go with the Raptor to start with for running your OS and Apps, and then save up for the larger drives and install them at a later date.

Raptor by parsecs. RAID 0 is completely overrated and 99% of the time not worth the money or effort. A single, fast drive as the primary OS and application drive and then perhaps a larger, slower drive for media storage is the best combo I've ever had. This would be my advice, in addition to forgetting about the RAID 0.

Right now mine is a 74 gig Maxtor Atlas 15k and a 300 gig 7200rpm Diamondmax 10 SATA unit.

Tech said:
Because that's more expensive. ;)

right on the dot. lol, i made the original comparison because they price of the 2 different setup are the same. humm space or speed? i guess i'll ask him what hell do with the computer before telling him to buy the drives.

Vio1 said:
You need a scsi controller right? which one do you have?
LSI Logic U160, cost about $30 new from newegg a couple years ago. That's all I need for just one drive, since it's mechanically capable of around 75mb/s in IO transfer. One drive won't saturate the U160 bus, so I don't lose anything (except maybe the occasional cache transfer) by using a U160 card with a U320 drive.

Back