• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Dremel Bit Do I Use For Fan Grill Removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewalk123

I Just recieved my new Chieftec Dragon case today. The first thing I want to do is remove the fan grills.

I'm going to go pick up a dremel tool tonight to do the job. Just wondering what sort of bit I should get to do the removing. The case is aluminum.

desembled.jpg

Thanks.

I would use the reinforced cutoff wheel and then one of the cylinder grinder stones to smooth it out... that seems to work pretty well. Just remember to not push down when you're using the cutoff wheel, you'll burn through it in a few seconds.... just let the wheel graze the metal and slowly cut in.

Good Luck, getting rid of the grills in the front and back of my Chieftec dropped my case and cpu temps by a few degrees.

Nice case BTW, I have the green one :)

Case2.jpg

It came with the case, but my brother's didn't.

If you want a 120mm hole, all you have to do is take a CD and trace the circle, cut it out with a jigsaw (or your dremel), smooth it out, and drill four mounting holes and your set.

Yeah, I actually used tin snips at first on them, but it ended up warping the metal around the front of my case.... the dremel just cuts through it and doesn't require much after that to make it look smooth.

Sure the parts are a little pricey, but if you buy in bulk it doesn't cost that much more.... I have tin snips , metal shears, and a jigsaw, but I still like the dremel for versatility.

Yes I agree with mtb856, though I did not try using snips and a file, I would imagine that it would not do as fine a job as the dremel.

I think the extra time spent is worth it, when the result is so nice. It looks like those fan grill where never even there at all :).

Good points there mtb856, the Dremel is versitile.
Mine hasn't been out of the box since I got the Foredom flex shaft to be honest.
They have much MUCH more power and use all the same bits. And when
some serious cutting is required the air tools (pneumatics) come out.
Compared to those the Dremel is just an underpowered toy. :)

Back