• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about vpu recovery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mhh0350

Registered
I recently purchased a ati 9600xt for a computer i just finished building a month or so ago. This is the first time i ever built a computer so my questionis as follows. At random times while playing farcry my computer freezes up goes back to my desktop and give me a message about my card mesed up and vpu recovery took over and reset it. I searched on the forum and read some other threads that seemed to be on the same topic and one suggestion was to just turn it off due to it causing problems with some games. i tried that and now the whole thing just locksup and im forced to restart. I was wondering what i could do, such as possibly switching to an omega based driver or something along that lines. Any answers or links to similar threads are appreciated. Also im running catalyst 4.10

Well, if your system locks up without VPU recover, that means that something is wrong (and that VPU recover was probably correctly doing it's job). Is your video card currently overclocked? If so, bring it back to stock and see if it helps. Also, how hot is your card running?

JigPu

The card is technically overclocked however it is using the overdrive option in catalyst 4.10 to do so. I am curently using the arctic-cooling vga silencer and it is running at 28c with a chassis temp of 28c. i know this is a very open ended question what other setting should i check for.

Your temps seem to be very good.My 9600XT didnt like running agp8x on my motherboard.I was getting the same vpu crash.Switching to agp4x solved all the problems.Also fastwrites could be a cause of instability,try disabling it in the bios.

mhh0350 said:
The card is technically overclocked however it is using the overdrive option in catalyst 4.10 to do so. I am curently using the arctic-cooling vga silencer and it is running at 28c with a chassis temp of 28c. i know this is a very open ended question what other setting should i check for.
There is now way your cards is running at ambient !!
recheck your temps.

I think it's just that the vpu and motherboard sensors are not coming up with correct temp readings.

Last edited:
I forgot to mentionn i already have fast write turned off in my bios, however i havent tried running in agp4x yet but will see if it fixes my problem. The temp reading are from the catalyst control panel and the cpu temp are from sandra so if their there not correct there about the best i can do right now but it is safe to say they are really low at idle

thanks for the tip for changing from 8-4xagp that solved my vpu-recovery problem. Should this affect performance in an way? because my aquamark scores only dropped 20 pts fromm 28424 to 28404

glad to ear that you found a solution. it wont decrease your performance much at all. that drop in your aquamak score is about 0.001% difference. nothing to worry about

RMA the card! wait nvm you added the vga silencer... i had that happen to me on the 9800pro so i downed the agp speed to 4x and upd the agp voltage to 1.7 and it ran fine... but after 5 months it died... :-/ (only a 6 month life span WTF really)

You may have shortened the life of your card with the agp slot boost.Nothing to do with agp4x of course.I think it's a motherboard thing because my card did 8x on one board and not on the other.So I'm not sure if a new card would fix that or not.
Besides 4x uses less voltage than 8x,so you get a little more out of your power supply.
hehe.

Back