• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4C SL6Z3 stuck @ 267FSB...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stryg

Registered
CNPS7000B-Cu - load 53.

A-Data PC4000, 1/1 and 5/4 @ 3,4,4,8.

It becomes unstable in common windows usage and fails prime torture @ 267.

I would ofcourse like this FSB due to the neat clock (3.2) :)

My board, IC7Max3, is in any way unmodded and I use a TruePower380.

I suspect one of these component's got something to do with the limit.

The stepping should be capable of more...

Any suggestions?

TP380 will be hard pressed at 3.2GHz. I've got the TP430 an it is loaded as heavily as is wise at 3.5GHz. You never know if you can pick up anything by changing supplies until you try it; in your case I'd say it could go either way.

I suspect this is a ram issue. Your PC4000 looks to be good, doing 266fsb in 1:1. But no more. Your cpu will likely do 285fsb or more with ram that can hack it. I further suspect that your PC4000 does not work well on the (o-so-picky) Abit mb in 5:4 or 3:2 mode.

You can try pumping more voltage into the ram and relaxing the timings, but I really doubt it is capable of allowing you to reach the cpu's limit. Some good old BH5 or possibly some late model TCCD Samsung would likely get along better with the Abit's fussy (although incredibly fast) nature.

BH5? Thats Kingstons right?

Should I just go for some 3200? And what is the secific code for those bh5s?

stryg said:
BH5? Thats Kingstons right?

Should I just go for some 3200? And what is the secific code for those bh5s?
Those Adata 4000 need about 2.9~3.0v to come to life. Your mobo can only put out about 2.75 stable volts for mem unless you do a VTT mod. BH-5 is not a good idea for that mobo for the same reason. They like to have 3.3~3.4v to come to life. You might want to check on to some TCCD mem because they can do alot with low voltage. Also in the running could be OCZ3700 Rev3. Or some good 4400 mem.

Currently everthing is running smoothly @ 259FSB

Divider 1/1 @ 2.5,4,4,7

The mbm5 readings @ load
core 1.62-1.70
ddr 3.10-3.18

The VTT mod. Is that what they fix if I rma the board?

The VTT mod. Is that what they fix if I rma the board?
No, Abit won't do this mod for you. And if you do it, it will void your warranty. There are several discussions about it over at the Abit forum. And there is a guy over there that is making the circiut board that you have to solder on to your Max3 to fix the VTT tracking.

What's your vcore set to in BIOS?

Is this your vcore?
core 1.62-1.70

If so you may want to consider lowering it down to 1.6V for 24/7 use.... read the SNDS sticky at the top of this forum if you're curious why. Northwoods have been known to fail suddenly at vcore's above 1.63V .

I'd consider the PSU to be a large part of your problem.... what's the most you can afford to spend on a PSU? With an estimate, we can lead you toward good PSU for your money.

My overclock improved a bit (Abit ;) har har) by getting my Antec TrueControl550.... my brother was able to drop his vcore from 1.8V to 1.7V on his AMD just by upgrading the PSU... his oc didn't improve, but the temp drop from less vcore was nice.

What are your load temps right now?

BigStan said:
Those Adata 4000 need about 2.9~3.0v to come to life. Your mobo can only put out about 2.75 stable volts for mem unless you do a VTT mod. BH-5 is not a good idea for that mobo for the same reason. They like to have 3.3~3.4v to come to life. You might want to check on to some TCCD mem because they can do alot with low voltage. Also in the running could be OCZ3700 Rev3. Or some good 4400 mem.

You only need huge votage with BH5 if you are trying to run the ram at 1:1. And performance-wise, you don't have to. Good BH5 will deliver performance on an Abit board in 5:4 mode that is competitive with all 1:1 alternatives, save perhaps the new die TCCD stuff that is just now appearing.

Im going for some Mushkin PC3700 Level2.

If that dont do the trick, ill start looking for a more powerful PSU.

It wasnt a ram issue.

I have thrown in a couple of Mushkin PC3500 level2 BH5 sticks - and that doesnt really make a difference.

Even at the most relaxed timing (2.5,3,3,7) I dont get anywhere above 260.

I have done intensive and systemized benching a found that my ram a willing of 240MHz @ 2,2,2,5 with 3.2vdimm.

At 3/2 2,2,2,5 - which should eliminate the memory - I still cant get above 260.

Giving the CPU up to 1.7vcore just in case...

My next move would be a PSU upgrade, somthing that I would need anyways, supposing the 2.4 to be maxed out and changing it with a 3.0C headed for 3.6...

(As you can see, I have changed my mobo as well, now heading for a setup very much like yours Larva ^^)

Aw, that sucks :( So are you going to try the PSU first and then upgrade to a 3.0C if that doesn't work?

What PSU do you have in mind? I guess if you're going all out you might want to consider a OCZ 420W.... it will provide enough power for an overclocked Prescott with no problems, which is something that you might upgrade to later. The other Powerstreams are kind of overkill unless you have a lot of HDD's or a pelt setup. I think there's a new revision of the Antec TrueControl 550 that increased the +12V rail from 24A to 30 something amps.... so it's a possibility as well.

Good luck with your oc :)

Ye.

First I upgrade the PSU - im thinking a TruePower550 - that should do for some time.

If that wont push the 2.4 further I'll find a nice 3.0C that'll go 3.6. With that setup I can run 240 FSB, 1/1 on my memory @ 2225.

Any suggestions on the stepping of that 3.0C WK or WU?

Have you considered a 3.2E or 3.0E, they seem to be overclocking very well lately with good air cooling. Quite a few people are getting 3.7 to 3.9 on air. I would do a search on the 3.0C, it's been a long time since I've looked at one.... I think batboy's running one at 3.8, so maybe he'll post in here and mention what s-code it is.

About the powersupply, how much is it where you're at..... where are you at? The prices at newegg weren't that different between the OCZ powerstream and the True power, and the Powerstream is a much better PSU IMO. What's your budget for a PSU?

[edit]

It looks like the SL6WK seems to be a good bet, look at this post SL6WK

Im in DK.

A TruePower550 is around 130-140 Euro - we got some heavy taxes on that stuff :)

Havent yet done the nessesary research on PSUs. Waiting for my next paycheck - and gotta buy some presents next month :(

The PowerStream470 costs the same as the TruePower550 i DK.

I have thought os the Prescotts, but as far as I can see, the PWM on the AI7 isnt heavy enough for Prescott overclocking. I dont wanna get into sinking and stuff like that, although its needed for most "valuable" overclocking.

I might be able to pick up a used 3.0C now, after I get a new PSU, and then buy a whole new platform in a year or so. Thats my plan anyways :D

The OCZ 470 will easily match the performance of the Antec and from what I've heard the rails are a lot better on the OCZ... they also have filtered power connectors for your video card so you don't have to piggyback it off of your HDD power or something like that. The +12V rail is what is most important and if it's the old TruePower 550, the OCZ will kill it in that area.

Yeah, I have some gifts to buy as well...... picking my little bro up a 9600XT off of the forums. He has a 9200 right now, so that should be a nice performance boost for him.

Ive actually set my mind on the PowerStream 470!

Ive got the money for a new case as well, but Im not sure if the PowerStream fit in it. Ive decided on a LianLi PC-61, but cant find anyone with that combo and havent had any luck finding pics or measurements of the LianLi PC-6X PSU area...

I went from a Geforce4 Ti4800SE to a Radeon 9800Pro - that sure as hell delivered quite a boost! :p

stryg said:
Im going for some Mushkin PC3700 Level2.

If that dont do the trick, ill start looking for a more powerful PSU.

i highly suggest upgrading your PSU first..your current PSU doesnt rhyme with your mobo and what you wanna do with it..:)

Back