• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to cool system ram down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arctic-k20

best way to cool ddr ram? best i mean most efficient that will actually make a difference temp wise....

the ocz 3200 plat rev2 is extremely hot @ 2.85v :mad: and i am wondering if a fan blowing on it is really going to make that much of a difference??

suggestions?

Yeah, definitely put a fan on it if it is hot. I had OCZ EB for a while, and I'm pretty sure that it was on fire before I put a fan on it. It just burned up. Here's what I did. Just used some Double sided foam tape, and used a TMD fan so I wouldn't be shooting air away from the ram.

PLL.jpg

I wouldn't use ram heatspreaders. They've been found to actually raise temps by up to 5°C. They do jack. I attached the fan using double sided foam tape by 3M.

Uhm...doesn't that foam tape block alot of the airflow? Furthermore, in my experience tapes have been a dust magnet! :confused:
Also, those TMD fans are fairly heavy, and vibrate quite a bit from what I've observed in my own system...burdens your ram likely doesn't appreciate a great deal!
I have found heatspreaders to be a nice complement for DDR memory, which likely explains why all the top ram manufacturers market there best memory with it. This is certainly the reason super fast RAMBUS memory has always shipped with aluminum heatspreaders. There is certainly no way it increases your memory temperature, as I have done surface temperature tests using an IR thermometer and have found improvements of 5-10F. Aluminum is a better conductor of heat than the surface of a memory package, and the greater the surface area the more efficient the heat conduction.
Recently I picked up ThermalTake's active memory cooling kit, and for the money, you can't beat it! Definitely helps further lower temps without risking injury to your ram or eyes... ;)

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/memory/a1165.htmhttp://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/memory/a1165.htm
sideView1.jpg

sideView2.jpg

There is certainly no way it increases your memory temperature, as I have done surface temperature tests using an IR thermometer and have found improvements of 5-10F

Buddy, have you considered the fact that the reason heatspreaders were found to raise temps is because they are INSULATORS? That would mean that the surface temp would be cooler, because all of the heat is trapped inside. The thermal tape that the ram companies put on their is junk, and can't transfer heat at all.

Uhm...doesn't that foam tape block alot of the airflow? Furthermore, in my experience tapes have been a dust magnet!

That's the reason I used a TMD fan, so I wouldn't have to worry about deadspots and such, the air will go vertically through the ram still. Also, while dust on your cpu or ram may raise temps, dust on tape shouldn't affect system performance. And yes, the TMD fan does vibrate, but the ram is locked in place and has no moving parts on it, and it won't be affected.

I have found heatspreaders to be a nice complement for DDR memory, which likely explains why all the top ram manufacturers market there best memory with it

Actually, I'm betting that the top reason that ram companies use heatspreaders is two fold. One, because the normal consumer will see the heatspreaders and say " Wow, heatspreaders= high performance, and spend more money because it looks cool. Two: because the ram companies may be using cheap IC's and they want to keep them hidden. Number one is the most likely.

What do you mean explain it? Do you mean again? ^^^.

Also, calm down on the attitude man. Xenocide's just commenting that if you look one post above yours, you'll find your answer.

Hello :D Hail Eobard "Sig Killer"

All right, disregard the pre flame war stuff guys. I'll try to find a link to the heatspreader issue so you guys can read the proof.

enduro said:
Actually, I'm betting that the top reason that ram companies use heatspreaders is two fold. One, because the normal consumer will see the heatspreaders and say " Wow, heatspreaders= high performance, and spend more money because it looks cool. Two: because the ram companies may be using cheap IC's and they want to keep them hidden. Number one is the most likely.

pretty sure he explained that one out.

The heatspreaders might work if you remove them and take off the stuff that they put on and replace it with AS5.

The problem is, they were never designed to cool. They were designed to spread the heat load evenly to all chips, so they all have the same temps (even though it doesn't work correctly)

Back