• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Great Plan (or wishful dreaming?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koku

Hey speed-freaks, I've been harrassed (mostly by myself and my desire to actuall DO something) to make the world a better place.

I would rather like to go into business making liquid immersion phase-change cooled cases, but as of now, I am unsure of the soundness of such a decision. I would like to know (and it might help me get a new business grant) how many, if any, of you would be interested in purchasing such an apparatus.

Sadly, I don't even have the funds to build one for myself at the moment, so I can't really show you pictures of the prototype, send one across the Big Pond for evaluation, or anything of real substance, but I've never really been a realist.

As with everything I do, the wants and needs of the people I work with (meaning potential customers) are my top priority. That said, I rather expect every case I might build would be 100% custom.

Possible features I would have available would be:
Adjustable Thermostat
Drive Chillers
Multiple Units with Central Refrigeration
Externally Mounted Compressor and Condensor (which could be put outside, in the garage, or anywhere you would want to dump the un-needed heat and noise)
Pine-Scented Air Freshener
An Assortment of Bells & Whistles (led's, clear circulation tubes, digital readouts, paint, stickers, you know - the groovy stuff you'd most likely rather hack together yourself)

I think that's all. It would really mean a lot to get your thoughts on this venture.

If you haven't allready read this artical http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/submersion/submersion.html

it is OC tools submersion using liquid Nirtogen and Dry Ice to cool.

I know i wouldn't buy one now or in the next couple years. I am in college and am BROKE. I think allot of people here are in a simmilar situation. I read about people having to ask their parrents before they buy a new somthing. I may be wrong it is hard to judge age from black and white text.

As I look ahead to life after college and wonder if i would buy one of these im not sure.

It would be very expesive for sure. A prommy is $800. You will need a cooler about that size. Plus a very complex case/tank to hold computer parts but also liquid. For liquid if you were to use Florinert it is $500 a gallon. XP fuild is about $150 a gallon but i haven't seen any body use it in submersion.

So my guess is it would be $1000 for just the coolling system. For peole thinking of buying a prommy i would think this would be a better option. For $200 more you can cool your; gpu, graphics card ram, cpu, northbridge, southbridge and system ram.

The system must be transportable. If i spend $1000 on a case i am sure going to put on great system inside it. After speending $3k a computer i will want to take it to lan's for sure.

If this was marketed at the niche that buy's prommies i'm betting they would sell.

I still don't think I would buy one. It takes all the fun of water cooing out, and will be freeking expensive

koku said:
I would rather like to go into business making liquid immersion phase-change cooled cases, but as of now, I am unsure of the soundness of such a decision.
Perhaps it would help if you could outline the basics of your concept.
What would be the advantage to me of using such a case and what would be involved?

I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, I just don't see much of a market for this. For the people who'd want something likes this would most likely do it themselves for much less. The average user wouldn't want the weight that it would add to their system, the difficulty it would cause in changing out components, if something goes wrong the inability to RMA your equipment due to voided waranties and whatnot.

It's not a very pratical method and is only for the few people that wouldn't mind the immobility, lack of waranties, and that are so into the most extreme of overclocking are the type of people who would end up wanting to do their own solution for less money.

The most extreme form of cooling I see as being marketable to the general public and being successfull is that of the Vapochill and the "Built in" Refrigerator cases. Maybe if you came up with a solution like the Vapochill that used the specialized armature attaced to the CPU to cool it to sub zero then also had it cool the rest of the case to the temp of a refrigerator ( 34f or so) that there would be a market for that. You would also need to take into consideration condensation so the case would need to be completely sealed with the inside atmosphere prepared to have 0 water vapor to keep your system from shorting out, the outside of the case would get condensation but if the outside air had no way of getting in, and there was 0 watervapor inisde all the components would be fine and cold.

You'd just have to think about having a drip pan on the bottom of the pc for the condensation that would occur on the outside being it would build up like on the outside of a cold pop can.

I hope that helps and doesn't break your spirit too much. I know I'm no expert in the matter just thought I'd help you by sharing my opinion.

If you can make such a system for the cost of a conventional heatsink, then you might have a chance. For the cost of such a cooling system, I'd rather do everything myself for the fun factor.

Eh, maybe just as a hobby then. I could like, sell them on ebay (what isn't on ebay, after all)

I could see something like that working for a hobby, but I don't see you making much money in profit off each case if any due to the wearyness at least at first that people will have in buying a submersive cooling solution.

koku said:
to make the world a better place...

liquid immersion phase-change cooled cases.
I'm not following you there. Back up. How does this proposal make the world a better place? I'd thought you'd be proposing something more energy efficient or user-friendly, not something both costly to run and demanding much work.

Is that a real motive?

If it helps someone in someway, and doesn't really harm anyone else ( don't see how it could harm anyone ) is it not making the world better even if ever so slightly?

ok. why do we need this? Extreme cooling? ok what about vaporchill? they do extreme cooling of cpu? or quiete operation? watercooling.

basically there is for cooling for everyone out there allready, air water pase changed and water with refrigirator cooling.

if someone has real noise issues he would put his PC far enough away from him so he cant hear it and use long cables or he would invest some $$ to make his PC quiete.

there is no market it cost to much nobody would buy it.

germanjulian said:
ok. why do we need this? Extreme cooling? ok what about vaporchill? they do extreme cooling of cpu? or quiete operation? watercooling.

basically there is for cooling for everyone out there allready, air water pase changed and water with refrigirator cooling.

if someone has real noise issues he would put his PC far enough away from him so he cant hear it and use long cables or he would invest some $$ to make his PC quiete.

there is no market it cost to much nobody would buy it.

Everyone likes to be diffrent, and the more options there are out there as long as they are all effective and resonably prices, people will buy some of every one. It's not like everyone is going to go to walmart and buy the same red t-shirt. There's a yellow t-shirt, a white one, blue, ect... They all do the same thing and are about the same price but people have personal preferance and their own opinions.

I think submersing my computer into a liquid and say lighting it up and seeing my pc underwater so to speak as I was using it would be cool. I know people who have tried fish tank mods ect for that reason.

As long as it's an effective solution and reasonably prices, we could have a billion options of cooling and it not be too many.

It would be just like if the government made us all wear uniforms, they do the same thing as our usual clothes and cost the same but would you want to wear the same thing as everyone else? If so maybe this thread isn't a place you need to be haning around, no offence. I like to be my own person and do things diffrently, as do many people out there. And whenever a new choice is offered a portion of the people are going to flock to it, customize it and make it their own because they like be individuals.

If you want to get some more constructive feedback about this idea from people who dabble in more extreme ways of cooling you'll probably want to post it under the exteme cooling section of the forum. I was just thinking about this, and if anyone could help you figure out if this idea is worthwhile and point you down a path that you might be looking to find it would be the people that read and post on that forum.

Back