• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what should i expect from my 800Mhz Duron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demon-eater

okay my Duron 800mhz is coming either today or tomorrow to replace my ill-fated 1.2 athlon.. anyway what kind of overclocking should i expect from this sucker and do you think i should get a better heatsink im gonna try using my athlon generic heatsink on it.. which is keeping my k6-2 very cold around 70Fish full load.. and ill be putting in a 80mm fan to push more air through my case.. let me know your thoughts and $.02 about the matter and thanks

demon-eater said:
okay my Duron 800mhz is coming either today or tomorrow to replace my ill-fated 1.2 athlon.. anyway what kind of overclocking should i expect from this sucker and do you think i should get a better heatsink im gonna try using my athlon generic heatsink on it.. which is keeping my k6-2 very cold around 70Fish full load.. and ill be putting in a 80mm fan to push more air through my case.. let me know your thoughts and $.02 about the matter and thanks

I would say it would get past 1000 and maybe upto 1150. Somewhere in between those. You'll need to mess with the voltage.

It depends very much on what stepping your Duron is. Take a look here, if want to know more about steppings: http://www.athlonoc.com/stepping1.php

I really don't think that HS you are talking about is gonna do you much good. Duron's run much hotter that K6-2's. I woulden't even try it, because it might fry your chip. Get another cooler, like the SK6 or the Silver Mountain.
I also think you should considder more case cooling. One fan won't be enough. You need a least one to suck fresh air in, and one to push the hot air out.

okay where the heck am i going to buy a sk6 or silver mountain?? the only computer related place i have near me is radio shack and after that its a 1hr drive to a mall with a computer store in it.. i don't drive so id be lucky if sombody could drive me to there in the next 3 months okay so i need to beable to run this chip using this hs or get more stuff from radio shack so that i don't fry my chip, which i highly doubt i would do using a athlon hs.. and i would put another fan in but there is absolutely no room to put another fan in to suck the air out.. i think ill be fine with what i have but i could be wrong..

holy christmas trees!! A K6 fan thingy costs $43+ shipping you people are mad i paid less for the chip with shipping. there is no way on earth im going to pay more for a heatsink than a chip.. thats just stupid

I would say between 1000-1050 is the area you'll hit. If you want a high quality hsf it will cost money. Don't go cheap on that because it will last you a good long time, and can be used on your next cpu.

demon-eater said:
holy christmas trees!! A K6 fan thingy costs $43+ shipping you people are mad i paid less for the chip with shipping. there is no way on earth im going to pay more for a heatsink than a chip.. thats just stupid

Please don't put 43$ in a K6 HS! It's not worth it. How much du you need to pay for the Silver Mountain?

well my chip comes tomorrow morning being that im homeschooled i will get it as soon as the mail lady puts it in my mail box yipee!! i love being homeschooled.. anyway and i will try my generic athlon heatsink on it if it sits at over 45C idle after 10minutes i will go to the mall sometime really really soon and buy something that is better but if its okay im gonna use my athlon heatsink until i go ahead and overclock it.. i couldn't find a price on a silver mountain but if sombody could find a heatsink that would cut the job for under $20 please post the link that would be really cool

D750

I have two Duron 750 chips and both hit 1000 + no prob on 1.85 volts. I used two boards ECS K7 - PC100 and GA7dxr 266. I can get them both to work on 133 FSB and multipliers of 7.5.

I was informed by local distributor that the FSB issue is a board factor and that all AMD chips can handle 266 FSB with out any isses. Some tests i have done proved him right.

NOTE: Duron 750 are the most overclocable chips amongst the durons to date. (TOMSHARDWARE web site review)

let me stab a guess here....

"ill fated athlon"

"K6-2 heatsink/fan"

i seem to sense a connection here....

soon to read "ill fated duron"

no i was using my athlon heatsink on my k6-2 while waiting for my new chip to come.. duh.. and my duron was at 44C (bios temp) full load overclocked at 896Mhz with open case.. unfortuantely my motherboard kinda sucks that was as far as i could take it.. then i set the jumpers to 133Mhz and went to boot it up but nothing happened so i dunno i clear cmos tonite when i get back from work and see if it will work again.. and yes my ram was 133Mhz im not sure what my savage S3 4x video card was rated at or anything...

okay my ram is the problem at 133mhz fsb stupid generic ram oh well.. the most i can overclock it too is 896mhz doing fsb increase to 112mhz and everything works fine.. except for my vieo card but i won't go into it here ill post that in the video section... thanks and if anybody knows of a way to get my duron going faster in this motherboard ill try it..

Last edited:
Back