• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to find default CPU values (fsb + mult) ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vsalt2

It was suggested of me to post this in the SMP area, from the CPU category, so here it is:

I have 2 of these xeon 2400/512L2/400/1.5 chips.

I'm wondering what the default core speed and multiplier is.. Is it true you devide the FSB by 4 to get the chip's clock speed? so would this be running at 100x24? The multiplier seems kinda high this way but worth asking. I have the chips but haven't set it up yet due to the memory still in the process of being shipped.

Thanks a lot, can I ask one more question (edit actually a bunch of them heh)?

What is the difference between core speed, and FSB? How does it make that 100mhz chip and pump it to 400mhz? What is the ram running at if I use this CPU as stock, 200mhz? Since i'm using Dual Channel ram, i'm guessing you multiply the core speed by 2 to get the ram speed? Is the ram speed also the fsb speed? I'm confused but I think i'm on the right track, especially thanks to your help bchur :)

vsalt2 said:
Thanks a lot, can I ask one more question (edit actually a bunch of them heh)?

What is the difference between core speed, and FSB?

Core speed is the speed the CPU core runs at - in this case 2,400MHz

How does it make that 100mhz chip and pump it to 400mhz?

It uses a 100MHz Bus and transfers data 4 times per cycle, as far as I know. I know the Athlon Tbirds, Durons and Athlon XPs and Bartons used a DDR bus which meant that the bus was 100/133/166/200 and it transferred data on the rising and falling edges of the bus.

What is the ram running at if I use this CPU as stock, 200mhz?

PC2100 if you are using DDR RAM - 100 Mhz DDR = 200Mhz.

Since i'm using Dual Channel ram, i'm guessing you multiply the core speed by 2 to get the ram speed? Is the ram speed also the fsb speed?

The RAM speed is the FSB if you use a 1:1 ratio (default).

Dual Channel ram runs at its normal speed - just two sticks can be accessed at once.

David wow, thanks for your answers. I am going to study them and see if I can understand everything about this. New PC assembly for me starts Wednesday at 4, and I need to be prepared for what awaits :)

Be careful on the mainboard selection. Some mainboards have no ability to run the RAM asynchronously. The 400FSB Xeons will run the RAM at PC1600 speeds on these boards. This is more prevalent in OEM boards, but does occur in retail boards as well. I am migrating a board to the 533FSB processors to run the RAM at full speed.

Xaotic I already have the PC-DL Deluxe from Asus, just not assembled yet. I believe it will take the ram I have with no prob.

Back