• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v rails and stuff.. lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Memphis69

ok this is prolly a stoopid question.. but what dose the 12v 3.3 5.5 and what ever else all of the other voltages mean... could ya please tell me and not make fun of my for askin a noobie question

Well in most cases the psu rail's are a big factor of how well of a overclock you system will get. Here lately the ram is being drawn from the 5+ rail but before on alot of board's it was from the 3.3 rail. I'am not really sure what the rail's do for your board as each board is different but I can asure you that making sure the rail's are good and not bad is very important when overclocking.

12V rail should be most important- new graphic cards like the 6800s and x800s get their current from that.
Maybe this will change with PEG, but I doubt that.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, the 12V and 5V are important for the CPU and the 3.3v and 5v are important for RAM. Drives and Fans tend to run motors and the like from the 12v.

heya thank you all for your info... and i will check out the link when i get home from work.. lol

Back