• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Legal restraints on free speach rights in online games.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Some people in legal circles, are now actually discussing with developers of games, that create such genres as online multiplayer worlds, legal restraints and rules for the right to free speech in such worlds.

They're discussing, with a view to making it law, whether such free speech laws as the American 1st amendment, can apply to such Virtual Worlds.

link to story below...
http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,65532,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3

Man how crazy is that? bringing actual real world politics and social, societal laws, into virtual game worlds.

I mean, I new that online virtual worlds would get big, I still expect GREAT things from VR technology, but I never in my wildest dreams expected to be under legal restraint, when it comes to what I say in such worlds.

Man what next??

This is a very touchy subject, after all the world's not real but your interactions with people still are. I'll get much more upset if someone's an *** to me in real life as opposed to online, but it's essentially the same thing.

If a legislation like this is created, think about how hard it would be to enforce. The wording of it alone would likely leave room for a lot of loopholes.

I can understand people wanting to stop crude and hurtful behavior, but the easiest way to do that is by not caring or reacting. After all, it's still just a game. I think everyone has been in an internet conflict of some type before and it's always resolved itself because most of the time words are the only means of attack. It's a shame people feel laws need to regulate people when nothing's at stake (such as in a video game) since it's much more effective to just brush them off.

if the server is located within the US we'd still have the right to freedom of speech. if its outside the US, we wouldn't have it protected, but than again I doubt we'd be extridited. I think there are a few ways to get around the right to free speech, like if they make you consent.....but I don't know how far that goes...

MLMIB said:
if the server is located within the US we'd still have the right to freedom of speech.

There's no guarantee to free speech in most US located servers either. The vast majority are privately owned and operated with completely voluntary participation of users. Rules can be set as the operators please, just like they can be on this private forum. If someone wanted to make a rule that says, "You can't say anything bad about my game inside my game world," they can do that. It might be a stupid business decision, but they could do it if they wanted to and wanted to enforce it. They don't necessarily have to make you agree to it before hand either as long as they are willing to dish out some refunds.

yes, and they can kick you off the server, but they don't have grounds to take you to court, I know the rules I slightly different, austrailia for example ya can't make a unfounded personal attack.

John G said:
There's no guarantee to free speech in most US located servers either. The vast majority are privately owned and operated with completely voluntary participation of users. Rules can be set as the operators please, just like they can be on this private forum. If someone wanted to make a rule that says, "You can't say anything bad about my game inside my game world," they can do that. It might be a stupid business decision, but they could do it if they wanted to and wanted to enforce it. They don't necessarily have to make you agree to it before hand either as long as they are willing to dish out some refunds.

Exactly.

MMORPG game companies can kick you off their servers, because it's just that, theirs. They make the rules and you have to follow them. You essentially agree to their rules when you start playing the game and if you don't like them, that's too bad because you don't have any say in it. They can't sue you for not following their rules, but they don't have to let you play their game either.

ok i value freedom of speech

And I value our forum's G-Rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amino said:
why don't they just do away with the bill of rights and be done with it.

That wouldnt be quite as big of deal as you might think, because the reason the Bill of Rights are amendments and not in the consitutuion to begin with was because when they wrote it all the states had or were writintg there own Bill of Rights which were very similar to the constitutuional one. They didnt feel they needed it the only reaosn it was added was so Anti-Federalist states would ratify it.

Now that the history lesson is over. They can't censor speech in games (im not saying they cant star out curse words). Its the same in real life you could go up to someone and call them a ****ing peice of dog****. You might get beat but you could do it. With all the post 9/11 laws you may get in trouble for certain seditious issues and talking about terrorism and issues of national security. I just don't forsee any kind of significant censorship in games other than offensive langauge.

Robrules18 said:
That wouldnt be quite as big of deal as you might think, because the reason the Bill of Rights are amendments and not in the consitutuion to begin with was because when they wrote it all the states had or were writintg there own Bill of Rights which were very similar to the constitutuional one. They didnt feel they needed it the only reaosn it was added was so Anti-Federalist states would ratify it.

Duely noted.

So long as they don't pass the patriot act its all good.

One small step towards safety from terrorist, one giant step towars dictatorship:D

John G said:

Agree 100%. The game or virtual whatever is the property of the owner and they can do what they want.

OC Noob said:
So long as they don't pass the patriot act its all good.

One small step towards safety from terrorist, one giant step towars dictatorship:D

The Patriot Act got passed years ago.

The reports of freedom infringments are greatly exaggerated. Essentially, they extended law enforcement tools that had already been used for years against organized crime and drug trafficking to also be legally applied to terrorism. The tools all have to still go through the courts. No body is going be legally spying on you without court approval.

There are arguably some nuances that could use some tweaking or additional detail, but it's good legislation for the most part. Absolutely essential for fighting terrorism too.

since we are on the topic of freedom of speech

Don't do this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back