• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone here apply as5 on a 6800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

i want to put as5 on a bfg 6800 oc's core and memory, which means that i would have to take off the thermal pads. if i took it off and applied the as5, would there be any problems, such as a lack of contact betwen the as5 and the heatsink, or anything else like that?

this is aimed mainly towards actualy 6800 users who have changed thermal compound on their gpus

I put some on my GPu and memory, I noticed the thermal padso n the memory are thick for a reason so they cant touch the ram and heatsink, All my ram touches the heatsink when i put AS5 on cept 2 off them only about half of the memory touches, nothing to really worry about cuss DDR3 memory doesnt get very hot.

Whenu put as5 on the core dont put alot on its just like you would do when putting it on a cpu very thin layer, test the heatsink tho to see if you put enough AS5 on sometime you may need to just put a dot in the middle and let it spread itself out.

When you put the Heatsink back on the core dont tightn one screw to tight, make sure you tightn them exsactly like they were before you took it off, look in the back and blackplate thier youll see how far the screws are in.

I have a NV Silencer 5 for my eVGA 6800 GT and I was wondering, do you want the heatsink to touch the ram at all? I read some where that you should be able to see light in between the ram chips and the heatsink. If this is true, how do you do that while making sure that the heatsink is touching the core?

If the heatsink isnt touching the ram how is it ganna cool it ? Maybe im wrong but i dont see why they would make a ram sink for the ram if it wasnt ment to touch it

CandymanCan said:
If the heatsink isnt touching the ram how is it ganna cool it ? Maybe im wrong but i dont see why they would make a ram sink for the ram if it wasnt ment to touch it

That is what I thought. I thought it was a bit weird that someone would say that. Anyways, when I put the heatsink on, it touches the ram no matter what so I have no idea what that guy was talking about.

Back