• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALERT, don't use ebay to sell a video card! Here's my story!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grov

Disabled
Just thought id tell you guys about my first ebay experience.

About 4 months ago, i sold my old TI4600 to some girl for 55quid + shipping. You can dam bet the card was 100% fine when i shipped it. Numerous hours of Ut2004, HL2, Max Payne, etc etc will confirm that!;)

When she got the card, she said it wasn't installing properly, but windows was recognising it ok, so i thought ok, driver problem.

She then upgraded her PC a bit, still didn't work. I spent ages trying to help here, trying various webistes, forums, expert mates, etc, etc still no luck.

I came to the conclusion she sucked, and didn't know wat she was doing, lol.

She wanted to return the card and get her money back, i said ok as i thought the card was ok, it was just a user error.

Now i cannot get the card to install back in the same PC it was in before i had it, and now, whats worse is i can't install my old Geforce 2Ti back in for some reason. Grrrrrrrrrr.

So i thought, i have to send her money back to her, and what do i get out of it, a Ti4600 that was fine, before she got her grubby hands on it.

She also sent a complaint to ebay about me. I got an email from something, saying that i had refused to return the card, which i had not, and i was using abusive and hurtful comments (i say **** once).

So i thought now i won't be able to use egay again, not that i want to, but if i wanted to, i can't because she has borked my card.

I packed this card really well to, with bubble wrap, it was really tight, inside another thing. I could of sworn i used an anti static bag, but even if i didn't it doesn't matter, i mean how many people do you know who have damgaged somet through static? anyways so it couldn't of been the shipping and even it was, it's out of my hands surely? not my problem is it?

She rang my house today, and my mum answerd i think and she threatened police action, and crap like that.

I got home from work and my dad was pissed. I told him the situation everything id done, and he soon calmed down.

ive been told to give her the money by my dad, so iam going to, but only because it's fairly low sum, and he has told me to.

If it was up to me, i wouldn't give her crap. I mean surely she doesn't have a leg to stand on? i have a broken card, i have to refund her? WTF!!!!!

Your thoughts.

Oh PS, i might sound really pissed, but i couldn't really care less now, after all 50quid is nothing to rich ol me!;) :rolleyes:

I don't understand how that can help in the slightest.

Grov said:
There is a possiblity that she had a card like you sold her, that didn't work, boughts yours kept it and returned her borked one.

Grov said:

The point of doing that is if someone tries to switch the card you sent them with a dead card from the same manufacturer you will at least know that the card isn't the one you sent them.

screw that i wouldnt' have refunded her money, if windows reconizes it fine, and she says its a driver problem then its is her problem.

even if you were not allowed to do business on e-bay anymore couldn't you just make a new account and get back in again.

By the way just so you know these kind of stuff is handled by the FBI, I know since a friend of mine got cheated out of a front bumper and the fbi was the onw that took care of it.

Wow dude, I woulda figured a person would know what they were doing if they bought an individual computer component such as a GPU.
If I ever sell anything on egay that a person must be careful to use, I would probably send them an email saying not to do this or that and provide some links to how-tos. Cuz she probably just jammed the thing into the slot until it busted. Better yet, she may have set it aside after taking it out of the package, then picked it back up without grounding herself.
Stupid people make me angry.

I am sorry to hear that. You could have just indicated that she has to pay shipping both ways. And about the complain to ebay, always keep an electronic copy of your emails, and you can forward to ebay as proof. Ebay just can't ban you from selling from an unjustified complain. Another thing, you should also restrict the buyers with 0 or negative ratings from bidding your product.

When I click that link I keep getting an error about not having enough access priviliges... but I'm logged in... annoying :temper:

Grov said:
I packed this card really well to, with bubble wrap, it was really tight, inside another thing. I could of sworn i used an anti static bag, but even if i didn't it doesn't matter, i mean how many people do you know who have damgaged somet through static? anyways so it couldn't of been the shipping and even it was, it's out of my hands surely? not my problem is it?

I hate to be the nay-sayer but it's your fault for not packaging the card properly, You took no ESD precautions and its very possibly ESD damaged the card, Airplane cargo holds get cold, and in a cold envirement ESD damage is more apt to occur.

Now with that said, this girl could have also killed the card by not taking ESD precautions, but since you didnt use anti static packaging, your to blame.

I'd refund her money and ask her to enter Square-Trade to remove the feedback.

If this trade occured here in our Classifieds, I would be telling you to return the money. I guarantee you that once you have 100 posts and decide to trade here, you best learn to pack electronics properly.

Just learn from your mistakes and try to not repeat them. ;0

did you get hold of ebay yourself? surely they must understand that their are 2 sides to every story? i mean say someone buys something and then decides they paid to much? they can post negative feedback and a whole load of genral bs that gets you kicked off ebay, btw maybe you should have called the police about her! if she was phoning your house and screaming or whatever it's harrasment

Silversinksam said:
I hate to be the nay-sayer but it's your fault for not packaging the card properly, You took no ESD precautions and its very possibly ESD damaged the card, Airplane cargo holds get cold, and in a cold envirement ESD damage is more apt to occur.

Now with that said, this girl could have also killed the card by not taking ESD precautions, but since you didnt use anti static packaging, your to blame.

I'd refund her money and ask her to enter Square-Trade to remove the feedback.

If this trade occured here in our Classifieds, I would be telling you to return the money. I guarantee you that once you have 100 posts and decide to trade here, you best learn to pack electronics properly.

Just learn from your mistakes and try to not repeat them. ;0

LMAO.

I didn't know they used planes for the card to travel from the midlands to Nottingham, thats like 60-70 miles. :rolleyes:

Seriously, thats bull ****. It's got nothing to do with that. It's a driver issue. It keep coming up with windows coporation and it just won't install.

If it was borked from static, it would be a lot different.

Also it's definatly the same card, theres a mark on the memory chip, and other stuff i can recognise.

Silver static is bull ****.

Only running around a carpet with rubber shoes will have an effect, don't lecture me on that crap.

Graphicism said:
I say ship with insurance.

That only apply if the shipping company causes damage to the item. If you didn't package the item properly, that WON'T apply too.

i'm betting she did something stupid and broke it. maybe she thought it was dirty inside and put it in the wash. or she tried to force it in the wrong way...

Back