• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting down to the wire here! (voltage question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vsalt2

Ok, well, if anyone has been following my project, my case should be arriving tomorrow. Which means PC assembly begins.

I have a question on my Xeon(s). Ready?

I'm trying to crank up these "beauties in a die" to around 3.0-3.2ghz, and the stock voltage is at 1.5v.

I am going to try to clock the fsb to 133 from 100 (as they are 400fsb chips) and keep it a 24x multiplier. That will give me a grand total of...

3200MHZ (which is my target/goal).

My question is (really this time).. The bios doesn't seem to have a setting to adjust the voltage, but i've read in places I can't find again that 1.5v stock voltage is good enough to crank these 2.4's to 3.2's. If they aren't, I need some suggestions, and i'm all ears!

Ok so it wasn't a direct question, but I'd really appreciate some input before assembly begins tomorrow. Thanks!

You might post this in the SMP area or look around in there..... I've seen quite a bit of info on your motherboard there in the past, so you'd probably have more luck there than in the general Intel area.

I'll dig around and see if I can find the link I'm thinking about.

Here you go

LINK

Last edited:
Mtb I am at your mercy, thank you for the link /bookmarked for reference as well :)

No problem :)

Hope it overclocks well for you, I've always wanted to get your setup but never had the money to do it.

BTW, I know you have two stars but I've haven't formally met you yet..... so hello and welcome to the forums :)

Oh thanks Mtb, I feel welcome here. Last night I actually read that thread and performed the volt mod from 1.5v to 1.6v around midnight using a U-wire on both sockets, then assembled the heat sink mechanism. When I placed the cpu's in the sockets, the lever closed fine on one, and kinda tight on the other. The strand of wire i used was just 1 strand from a really tiny stranded wire, didn't look much thicker than a piece of hair. I got both levers to close though, and I didn't bother to open the 2nd lever and find out why it was closing hard because i knew the CPU socket was firmly in place with no bent pins. Opening it without even trying it would just put unwarranted strain on the pins.

The board with heatsinks must weigh 5 pounds now. You can't even hold it like a normal motherboard, you have to cradle it like a newborn. There is so much weight on the cpu area that you have to hold from underneath the sockets.

I don't know if I even need the jump from 1.5 to 1.6v, but I figured why not. It was easy enough to do and with the proper cooling, i'm sure it will make it more stable, since I'm going to be bringing it to about max stable speed for this C1 stepping.

Are you using AS5 as thermal paste for your HS's? I noticed in a pic that the mosfets on your motherboard don't have HS's on them..... if you're planning on raising the vcore and overclocking, it's a good idea to put a small HS on each of them to stabilize voltage. There's a guy in the cooling section that I just bought HS's from.... they're cheap and should work very well.

Here's the LINK

I'll try to find an article on modding the Windtunnels, there was a guy I was talking to a long time ago that said the windtunnels were faily loud and he found some way to quiet them down.

BTW, is that you in the avatar?

mtb856 said:
Are you using AS5 as thermal paste for your HS's? I noticed in a pic that the mosfets on your motherboard don't have HS's on them..... if you're planning on raising the vcore and overclocking, it's a good idea to put a small HS on each of them to stabilize voltage. There's a guy in the cooling section that I just bought HS's from.... they're cheap and should work very well.

Here's the LINK

I'll try to find an article on modding the Windtunnels, there was a guy I was talking to a long time ago that said the windtunnels were faily loud and he found some way to quiet them down.

BTW, is that you in the avatar?
I know in the motherboard picture they show the chipsets and mosfets bare, but in reality they have HUGE heatsinks on them. Way more than I would think be needed, as this is a server board and all. I am using AS for my transfer paste yes, and the avatar is not me, it's of my friend crystal (who is a fellow linux geek and network admin at SUNY). Thought she'd do nicely here :)

I'm getting there, as this wasn't the only time I've been referred there via a link, and can't see it *sniff*

Back