• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman NB heatsink placing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Claw85

Registered
In order to place my zalman NB sink i had to cut it off some on the top, in addition to place it a bit diagonally. This because of the kinda big VGA-cooler. (Please see sig)

So the HS does not cover the whole northbridge, but could this be dangerous when overclocking?
Currently using 1,8v on the chipset.
The heatsink does not feel hot too touch when under load, but not cold either.
Smartguardian under prime95 torture max heat gives:
CPU @ 46C
PWM IC @ 37C
System @ 29C

Claw85 said:
In order to place my zalman NB sink i had to cut it off some on the top, in addition to place it a bit diagonally. This because of the kinda big VGA-cooler. (Please see sig)

So the HS does not cover the whole northbridge, but could this be dangerous when overclocking?
Currently using 1,8v on the chipset.
The heatsink does not feel hot too touch when under load, but not cold either.
Smartguardian under prime95 torture max heat gives:
CPU @ 46C
PWM IC @ 37C
System @ 29C

you mean that the accual surface isnt covered?

-Jess-

Although the zalman NB heatsink is 37 (L) X 37 (W) X 47 (H) mm,
that is not what is in contact with the northbridge itself, that is on the other hand only approx. 25x37mm (i tried to measure it just now, but it was kinda har to to in the case). This is because of the mounting type on the heatsink. Please look at pic 1.

By cutting the top pins i mean the approx 15mm of each of the pins in the front row on pic 2, and 3 of the ones in the 2nd row. Please look at pic 2.

In addition i had to place the heatsink diagonally, so even less of its surface makes contact with the NB-chip, all because of the fat vga-cooler. Please look at pic 3 (which is kinda badly drawed, though schematic and "almost" the right size).

The stock heatsink is btw. 37x37x10mm, and its all flat so it makes the "proper" contact, but it is much smaller than the zalman one.
And judging by the goop which is left on the stock heatsink, the nb-chip is 30x30mm.

Attachments

• zm_nb47j_b_p.jpg
    zm_nb47j_b_p.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 136
  • zm_nb47j_y_p.jpg
    zm_nb47j_y_p.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Zalman3.JPG
    Zalman3.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 47
by the looks of your Draring, as long as the exposed part of the bridge isnt hot, then your A O K

:D

-Jess-

managed to touch a tiny exposed corner of it.. not any hotter than the rest of the heatsink (under load), which is not something i would call "hot" :thup:

Back