• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC3200 Platinum R2, 3.3v rail adjusting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Claw85

Registered
My OCZ Powerstream 520w supports 3.3v rail adjusting up to 3,8v.
My question is if there is something to gain in speed/bandwith/timings etc. by adjusting the 3.3v rail.

Currently using:
FSB 271 1:1 @ 3,24V
Current Max:
318 FSB 5:6 @ 3,24V

doubtful that adjusting the 3.3v would give you any increases, since you're well within spec.

actually increasing the VDIMM would give you a better chance of increasing your speeds/lowering timings.

k, i might try that.

and.. another thing i just heard:
there are two types of my rev2 ram, one newer and better than the other.
by better i mean it can gain lower timings @ high speeds cuz of the higher voltage (as u said), like 3,3-3,4v, maybe more. While the older one more or less stop gaining something @ 3,1-3,2 or so.

Is this true?
And how can i tell if i have the new or old version?
Do i have to ask OCZ themselves?

I believe the Rev 2 EL Platinum series all use Samsung TCCD chips. The rev 1 didn't use TCCD's.

BH-5 loved the high voltages. Unless you bought your ram some time ago, you shouldn't have these.

I haven't had any personal experience with them but if you look around the forum, there are conflicting reports about giving them more than 3.0v and gettting any increases in fsb or lowering timings. Seems like it's related to the PCB that the IC's are made on. Some have gotten more out of giving them more voltage, some haven't. As with all overclocking, it's a gamble.

If you are willing to take off the heatspreaders, you may find that you have chips with the newer tccd, that does respond more like bh-5 with higher voltages, say around 3.5 or 3.6v. If you scroll down you can see my thread about it.

It's been 2 weeks now, since i bough my sticks.

Quoting Rabbi, poster @ dfi-street.com:
Your RAM uses the Samsung TCCD chips... the older revisions of those chips maxed out at about 2.9v-3.1v from what I've read, and going past that yielded little/no gain.
But as of the last two weeks OCZ has been selling the Rev2 with a new revision of the Samsung TCCD chips... apparently these keep scaling up well past 3.1v... some people are getting over 250 MHz 2-2-2-10 with 3.3v and they keep scaling up even past 3.3v.

Gambling is fun most of the time tho :cool:

I just spoke to Steve Alkok at OCZ. I was having trouble getting my OCZ 3700gold r3 past 250mhz. He recomended that I bump my 3.3 to 3.4v - OCZ PowerStream PSU makes this easy. I also switched my ram from dimm slots 1 &2 to 3 & 4. So, Im not sure which change helped, but I am now able to get much better o/c (260 * 10). I can now get 260mhz (I know 260mhz still sucks) with my ram. This is still not as high as this ram should go but its an improvement.

Just my $.02

Back