• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S rev2 northbridge fan is LOUD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amplifier

Any suggestions on a replacement, I was going to get a hs off one of my other mobos, but my nf7-s has the holes across from each other, while the hs I have has the holes diagnally across. I need a hs or a fan that will suit me please.

The NB-1 or NB-1C are really really good but the fan they come with makes them pretty dang loud... at least mine was. If you have decent case airflow you might can get away without the fan and just using the heatsink... thats what I'm doing.

Edit: Oh yeah Vantec makes a nice little coppery one... pretty much exactly like the stock one but this ones copper and its not loud at all from what I've noticed.

does it need to be an NB cooler? I use a stock intel socket 370 alu heatsink on mine, it is pretty damn quiet and if you wanted you could always take off the fan, it is probably the cheapest option as well.

Would the Zalman passive sink do for you? IIRC, you can adjust the position of the "pegs" for it. Do you have pic of your motherboard near the NB? -- Paul

yeah i am thinking about picking up one of the vantec iceberg copper ones. my fan is totally dead on the NB cooler. on a side note, would the NB getting too hot (due to no fan) cause my computer to randomly lock up? thanks.

Well the NB has like the memory controller and other main system components in it so if its getting too hot then yeah I'd say it could probably cause lockups.

The NB fan failure is an extremely common problem on the NF7-S
I replaced mine with the Zalman passive sink and it works really well. Completly silent, being passive, and surprisingly cools better then the stock one with a fan.

for the zalman are you guys talking about the gold one or the blue zalman.

I have an IceBerg chipset cooler on my Motherboard's NB. It works very nicely. I could have stuck with the stock one... but thats no fun.

I use a Thermalright Aluminum NB-1 (although it isn't installed right now), which was working really well for me while it was on my board. I took it off in order to switch the push pins for proper mounting posts, and haven't had time to put it back on.

About the noisy little fan; I simply hooked it up to my baybus, and ran it at ~9V to keep the noise down.

The NB-1 is also quite inexpensive for such a well-built active cooler, which is a real plus. With some good case airflow, you can keep the little fan at a silent 7-9V while still having an effective active cooler.

I just recently setup new rigs for myself and my roommate, and using NF7-S v2's in both, I am disturbed by the massive difference in NB cooler noise between his and mine. Mine is WC and quiet as the dead, and his is SI-97 air, so his may just be masking it, but my NB cooler stock emits this annoying hum, which initally was that awful whirring sound dying fans give upon first powering up. His never did that, both are the stock NB HS, and I know the stock HSF units on all motherboards are generally poor, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a quick fix for now, as my plans were to replace it in a month or two anyway. Some lubricant on the bearing, or touching it, stopping it in a mystical pattern of ritual, fan taming practices perhaps? If anyone knows any voodoo, speak up, the sound has decreased with operation, but as im still in WC leak/stability high alert and am just installing OS and beginning the OC hike, I really cant just shutdown those plans and drain just to replace an annoyance. Thanks,

Jack. :)

I've had my NF7-S v2 for about 10 months now and didn't have any trouble for most of the time. Then about a month ago my NB fan started making the horrible whirring noise. For about a week, it was non-stop, then mysteriously it went away. Since then, it occasionally makes the noise, but not for very long. Maybe 10-15 minutes at a time, once or twice a day. Been looking to get a new HSF for it, but have been too busy.

jackrungh said:
I just recently setup new rigs for myself and my roommate, and using NF7-S v2's in both, I am disturbed by the massive difference in NB cooler noise between his and mine. Mine is WC and quiet as the dead, and his is SI-97 air, so his may just be masking it, but my NB cooler stock emits this annoying hum, which initally was that awful whirring sound dying fans give upon first powering up. His never did that, both are the stock NB HS, and I know the stock HSF units on all motherboards are generally poor, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a quick fix for now, as my plans were to replace it in a month or two anyway. Some lubricant on the bearing, or touching it, stopping it in a mystical pattern of ritual, fan taming practices perhaps? If anyone knows any voodoo, speak up, the sound has decreased with operation, but as im still in WC leak/stability high alert and am just installing OS and beginning the OC hike, I really cant just shutdown those plans and drain just to replace an annoyance. Thanks,

Jack. :)

I tipped my case sideways so the fan is facing upwards. that seems to get rid of the vibration... mine wuz making noise so i replace it with a Zalman ZMNB47J which got rid of the noise nicely. waiting to see if it will help with my overclock tho.

Medicated said:
I've had my NF7-S v2 for about 10 months now and didn't have any trouble for most of the time. Then about a month ago my NB fan started making the horrible whirring noise. For about a week, it was non-stop, then mysteriously it went away. Since then, it occasionally makes the noise, but not for very long. Maybe 10-15 minutes at a time, once or twice a day. Been looking to get a new HSF for it, but have been too busy.
I think i beared with the noise for about 4 or 5 months.. It went away sometimes so I guess i justified it to myself that it wasn't worth the trouble and plus I didn't want to void the warranty.. But that noise wuz freaking annoying now that I come to think of it.

A buzzing sound may be the sign of a bad bearing that's ready to fail. Generally not a great idea to ignore it ... ;) (Although if it went away and has been acting reliably since, it should be okay...) -- Paul

Back