• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP to mobile also need detailed guide for L12 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I'm pretty sure that the newer AXP cpus are fully locked, so you should do some research to make sure that the L5 mod will work. I did some research on it a while back, but it was 6 months ago and I don't remember the specifics. As for the L12 mod, just take the smallest wire out of a phone cord. Bend it into a U and fit it into these two holes.
L12.jpg

From a phone wire?

i have one and its all opened, but its insulated, does it matter? Or is the wire from the phone cable itself or what?

Just use one strand of wire from inside the insulation.. like it looks in the pic above.. :)

Look at the pic enduro posted.. You strip the insulation off the wire.. Then seperate the strands of wire.. Take one strand and fold it in a U shape.. Then look at the pic of the socket ... Take the U shaped wire and put in the holes in the socket where you see the purple line in the pic above.. Kinda like connecting the dots.:)

edit..

Be sure to take note the pic says the socket lever is on the right..

Hold on, he's right. You have to do the 166 to 200 mod. He doesn't have a mobile cpu. Do the AG31 to AH32 mod. That is what you do for desktop cpu's. Although I seem to remember that the L12 mod doesn't do that much for the desktop cpus. Sorry about the mess up man, I'm used to helping people with mobiles, because only a few people here have desktop cpus.

oppss.. my bad too.. dam I always assume people have mobiles also.. Well its not like it will harm anything tho.. Just hope he didnt rip the system apart to do it yet..

:D Yeah, that's what I was worried about. It won't do anything, but I *hate* taking my rig apart. Drives me nuts and takes like 2 hours to sort my cables again. Assuming that he routes his cables though.

i have also read this too.. but i thik the catcher was you couldnt do it on a nforce 2 mobo .. im gonna try this when i get my mobile 2600 (couple days) and then try it with a asus via based board.. (just for fun) and i'll post up picks and results.. wortha shot.. plus it will use less voltage.. if anything i'll have a desktop cpu converted to a mobile .. no harm done ..

ahh it brings me back to the ole palomino bridge painting days ..

You can't do the L12 mod or the L5 mod? The L12 is only for nforce2 boards, and I'm not sure about the L5. Keep us posted on the L5 mod though, should be interesting to see if it works.

from what i read you have to use a program to change multi in windows on the fly.. nforce2 doesnt support that.. you can do the l5 and l12 mod but it will be useless on a nforce2 mobo.. the only thing you'll change i believe, is your voltage requirments.. dont quote me i need to refresh on the whole area..

I've mobilised a couple of locked Durons (fill middle two bridges of the L5 set). The only bridges locked on locked CPUs are the L1/L3 configuration and the L2/L9 configuration. I've tested the Durons and they work fine in a K7D (AMD MPX chipset, but needed a BIOS patch) and a Soltek 75DRV5 (Via KT333, no patch needed). It doesn't work on nForce 1 or 2 boards (the chipset PowerNow implementation is broken), but should work on all via chipsets. The biggest problem will be your BIOS. If you just rejoin the two bridges on the L5, you risk the BIOS using a 24x multiplier and putting 2V through your CPU. If you tell me the name of your board and which BIOS revision you are using I can check up on it.

In your case, you want to fill in any cuts made to the L12 bridges. It should look like cut-joined-joined-joined (left to right with the L1 briges on the "top" of the chip). You want to fill in that first cut.

from what i read you have to use a program to change multi in windows on the fly.. nforce2 doesnt support that..

Ohhhhh, that program. Isn't that cpumsr or something like that? Yeah, it won't work on the Nforce2. This guy is talking about a hard mod though, but I'm pretty sure that the newer cpu's are hard locked so that you can't mod them. I'm not positive on that though.

Like I said, the only bridges that are unchangable on the locked processors are the L3/L1 configuration (startup multiplier) and the L2/L9 configuration (L2 cache size). The L5 (controls SMP and PowerNow capabilities) and L6 (maximum PowerNow multiplier) and L12 (default FSB speed) bridges are all unlocked.

If you had a 166MHz FSB Barton, you'd want to do is to fill in the 1st L12 bridge. Assuming the guy at that site has it right, you want to do the "connect ag31 to ah32" thing. Check at fab51 to be certain though. I've never been a great fan of dropping wire into the sockets for two reasons:
1) Little itty-bitty pieces of unattached wire inside my computer? No thanks ...
2) Potential to affect heatsink/die contact by making the chip sit unevenly in the socket.
That and I've always had the stuff on hand to do painting :)

That said, you have a 200MHz FSB chip anyhow, so there's no modifications you can do to get a higher FSB.

This wire is so small, that there will be no affect on the heatsink placement, and the cpu will hold the wire in nicely. Trust me, once it's in the hole, the only way to get it out is to use tape. Also, only connect AG31 to AH32, that's the 166 to 200 mod. Honestly though, I had a 2600 desktop, and I did that mod and it didn't increase my overclock at all. From what I've heard, you have to force a 133 fsb on the cpu, which required cutting a bridge, which (again) I'm not sure that you can do on the newer Bartons.

yupper.. :) connect ag31 to ah32 which is the 166~~>200 mod like enduro said..

GL..
THunDA

o ok so i only need to connect 2 pins, i thought i had to do both of those (two wires) and connect ag31 to 32 and ah30 and ah28

but i just have to connect 31 to 32 to force 200? my cpu is already 200 though (stock, its the 400 fsb version)

Back