• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XBOX2 And PS3 .............. Same processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IBM's making some very solid processors right now. Honestly, I don't find it shocking at all. They do seem to have some yield problems, though. I assume that will be sorted out, however.

CamH said:
IBM's making some very solid processors right now. Honestly, I don't find it shocking at all. They do seem to have some yield problems, though. I assume that will be sorted out, however.

What would be shocking is the time, $$ and hype spent on their "Cell" processor .

Cowboy X said:
What would be shocking is the time, $$ and hype spent on their "Cell" processor .
wasn't IBM in on the R&D of the Cell processors?

so the PS3 could be using the Cell, but according to that, so would the Xbox 2, something that Sony wouldn't like, because they are propriatary dipsticks. but if It wasn't exclusively sonys desion or the cost of developing the cell was too great, then maybe Xbox 2 was allowed to use the tech. becuase the R&D partners wanted to sell more chips or it was the only way to make it viable

Like a year ago we were getting tons of stuff about this cell chip being 100 times faster then a P4...and now they say its all garbage? :rolleyes:

ANd yeah, if MS and Sony decide to go different ways in matters of storage (DVD / blu-ray and stuff), it will likely affect the DVD market entirely.

This is just a rumor. The Xbox2 devkits use duel G5's, because the eventual CPU artitecture will be simmiler if not the same. The most common beleaf is that it would be a good set of G4's, or crap G5's. Besides, after spending millions of dollars and several years on the chip, I doubt Sony gonna let M$ get their hands on it, or anything like it.

yes, this story isn't true. would be quite interesting though...

as for the cell technology, the key word would be selling the technology. i am sure they could make a good bit of money off of it if it is as good as they have hyped it up to be...

Man that has to be the worst thought out rumer I heard in a while.

1) Sony, IBM, Toshiba They been developing it for years and well theres patients on the CELL chip also.

2) XBOX2 is using a modified G4/G5 IBM Chip for thier sytem. Nothing more nothing less, and is teamed up with ATI for the GPU.

3) PS3 is using the Cell Chip paired with a Nvidia GPU (therory is that the Cell Chip is running 4.4-5.0Ghz Range but relativly hot under load)

4) GameCube2, the next in the line up for Nintendo is also using a version of the G4/G5 IBM Chip. This was what I heard less and havn't found any information otherwise to disprove it.

In all togeather yes all of them are using "IBM" chips, well at least they are making them, in the next gen consoles. I'm sure the cell chip has some limits on its patients which other companies could use the technology in other applications and so forth otherwise why would the other companies join Sony in and spend $$$ for the R&D effort.

Its probley to early to speculate on whats truely going to be in the new consoles yet still one hasn't been publicly shown as working yet, but all you can say is that they will be powerful and probley get close to matching what desktops are doing graphic wise at the time it gets released.

Oh ya love what one of the commits was in that article "Why does the PS2 sell so well its the slowest console out there". LOL Well wonder why its the slowest it was released first.

Basically, everybody is using a variant of the power pc architecture. PS3 will use ppc in a cell orientation while xbox use the traditional 3 cpu on mobo and nintendo will do the same...ps3 basically has all the benefits of xbox with the addition that it is very expandable since you can just plug and chug a few more "cells" onto an open interface to the "hub". The cell has the benefit that it can use almost unlimited resources from addition fp operations of new cells you plug in...

Oh ya love what one of the commits was in that article "Why does the PS2 sell so well its the slowest console out there". LOL Well wonder why its the slowest it was released first.

i really quesiton some people's intelligence and wonder how they ever managed to even get on the internet and onto forums / web sites.

PS2 is what almost 4 years old now? Xbox is 3? well a PIII 650 is it or what ever and a g2 video card - i would say Xbox is very slow as well.

Mr.Guvernment said:
PS2 is what almost 4 years old now? Xbox is 3? well a PIII 650 is it or what ever and a g2 video card - i would say Xbox is very slow as well.
xbox is a P3 733mhz and gf3 vid card with 64mb of ram at 6.4gb/s
ps2 is 300mhz and the equivalent of a gf2 vid card with 32mb of ram at 3.2gb/s

that's some pretty old hardware. but it still plays great games that look really good. this new stuff will be better than our PC's...I expect some really really amazing gaming in the future.

I trully believe xbox 2 sounds like a disapointment. Isnt Ibm making the g5s for mac. I wonder if their cpus will ever be released on a desktop, (pc).
Thanks

imo, the only problem i saw with PS2 is that trying to save any game takes a day or two (exaduration). If the PS3 is designed with a hard drive it will far surpass the XBOX2 system. once again imo.

Back