• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What AMD Processor and Core would be good for Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TopAce

Disabled
Hi,

I am currently looking forward to be building around Christmas this year for my first ever built gaming rig. At first, most people told me to go with Intel, because i wanted PCI-Express. After careful thought, i decided to go with AMD's memory controller instead of DDR2. I know i want a socket 939, because they seem to be AMD's mainstream for the next couple years. The only problem i have is what prcoessor. I don't plan on overclocking until i need to, so please don't pick based on that. Another problem i have with choosing the right processor is what core. I know there is Clawhammer, Newcastle, and Winchester. Which one be have optimal performence at gaming?

I was looking at the AMD 64 3500+ Winchester. Does that seem like a good choice, or would a different CPU/Core be better?

Thanks in advance,
Ace

P.S. If you want a link to the 3500+ Winchester i was looking at, here is is... (Link to 3500+ Winchester)

First of all WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

well a clawhammer s939 is basically an FX, so if you can afford a 600-800 dollar chip that'd be the chip to go for, but a much more reasonable price/performance ratio is the 3500+ or the 3200+, Winchester. Also if you can wait a bit, the new Veniece core is supposed to come, witch is basically an improved winchester with SSE3.

I recomend the Winchester core as they have proved to be slightly faster clock for clock than the Newcastle. I am no AMD expert, I have been trying to learn more about Intel during recent times, including when Winchester was launched so you might want to check on someone elses opinion about that as I am not 100% sure.

Clock for clock, Winchester uses less power and does not emit as many thermal watts as Newcastle.

I do beleive you will see a slightly better overclock when the time comes to overclock it as the winchesters appear to be doing slightly better than Newcastles.

I personally would go with the Winchester because of those 3 reasons, especially the second one about the power consumption and thermal output.

Good Luck with your new system! :)

Also if you can wait a bit, the new Veniece core is supposed to come, witch is basically an improved winchester with SSE3.

Thanks! As i said, i won't be building until christmas, so i think i will wait for the Veniece core and check it out, but as of right now, is the 3500+ Winchester.

Ace

Back