• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on LAN Games to play....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjr1973

I have a lan set up that will soon have a fourth computer hooked up. I'm trying to figure out some fps war games to play that would be fun with four people. The games I have now are Ghost Recon with all X packs, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Black Hawk Down and Call of Duty. Most of these games with the exception of Ghost Recon seem to require considerably more than four players to be any fun. Has anyone tried the X Pack for Call of Duty yet? I heard you can drive vehicles finally. I would consider fps other than military if they at least have a military style to them. I personally didn't care for Doom 3's multiplay so that ones out. Anybody have any ideas other than what's listed?

Counter-Strike is very good with smal number of people. With no lag and hacks, it can be very fun. Just be sure to play on the small maps (dust, prodigy, assault, and many more...)

Ace

CS - you can never forget counter strike (oh wait, you did :p jk)

also, throw in a racing game into the mix as well... just for a change when you get tired of blowing your heads off

edit: damn you beat me to the cs post...

I didn't actually forget counterstrike, I've just never played it much. Can one of you explain to me some things about it? What's the difference between counterstrike and source? If I buy Half Life 2 over steam will I get the new counterstrike and be able to play it as soon as I download it or do I have to wait until the release date. Last but not least, how many copies of the game am I going to have to buy to play it over a LAN? I just haven't kept up on the whole CS, HL2 thing.

tjr1973 said:
I didn't actually forget counterstrike, I've just never played it much. Can one of you explain to me some things about it? What's the difference between counterstrike and source? If I buy Half Life 2 over steam will I get the new counterstrike and be able to play it as soon as I download it or do I have to wait until the release date. Last but not least, how many copies of the game am I going to have to buy to play it over a LAN? I just haven't kept up on the whole CS, HL2 thing.

Counter-Strike is a Counter-Terrorist vs, Terrorist first person shooter. Usually Terrorist have to plant a bomb, or Counter-Terrorist have to rescue hostages. IF you buy Half-Life 2, you do get Counter-Strike: Source, which is same as normal Counter-Strike, but has the new Half-Life 2 graphics engine. I think you need one copy of Counter-Strike for all four systems, but don't count me on that... You can download it free if you own a copy of Half Life.

Ace

I do have an original copy of Half Life laying around. So, I can go download the new version of Counterstrike with Half Life 2 Graphics for free and possibly play it on my lan with just one copy? Where do I go to do this? I'm sorry for not knowing this but it just seems that all the information on this series of games has gotten overly complicated, especially since I never was really in the loop of things.

Half Life works for Counterstrike 1.6 (or less).

Half Life 2 works for Counter Strike: Source.
CS:S is just CS ported to the Source Engine.

yeah the COD: UO is awesome at lans. This months (NOV) we are testing Far Cry since the release of the 1.3 patch. Should go well with our server.

But you know at LAN's, the more the better.

CS (all HL mods)
Quake3
Unreal Tournament

Not FPS, but fast paced war strategy:
Starcraft
Warcraft 3

Last edited:
dguy6789 said:
Command & Conquer Generals nuff said.

Wait not nuff said, C&C generals and it's expansion pack Zero Hour nuff said.
i was going to recommend those, but then i noticed that he asked for fps

TheGreySpectre said:
splinter cell pandora tommarow (max 4 people playing)
Rise of Nations
Yes, Splinter Cell: PT has a very good 4 player mode. It requires lots of strategy and teamwork.

Rise of Nations is also a lot of fun on the LAN, my 2 brothers and I used to play it alot over the summer.

Get RTCW "Enemy Territory". IT's 100% free to download and there is a bunch of maps floating around the web. I'll also vote for any of the Unreal Tournament games and for Soldier of fortune 2. And if you give me a pile of monet I'll make you a four-way version of ping-pong(will need some weeks development time).

DaWiper said:
And if you give me a pile of monet I'll make you a four-way version of ping-pong(will need some weeks development time).

how bout just regular 4-player pong? nvm ping-pong
that'd be totally interesting to see

Back